Questions and Thoughts | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions and Thoughts Questions and Thoughts

Unread 05-07-2003, 12:59 AM
Questions and Thoughts

Gosh. Where to start? (I apolgize in advance for the length of this....)
Thank you, to my friend Kimberly who sent me the link to this site.

I have had no pain, but have had major clots, bleeding for several years. I have a fibroid inside uterus. After reading the posts I have mixed feelings about my upcoming surgery. (Removing uterus and cervix only) Hoping to go vaginally, but may have to do it the other way. (She had a hard time finding my cervix--- no kids, no sex.... kind small inside there. )

Looking forward to not having to spend money on all the "stuff" I have to buy and store (at work, in my purse, in my car....) Having to change the "stuff" anywhere from every 15 minutes to every hour... sometimes lasting for months. Not knowing when or IF it will start, even while being on Birth Control Pills.
Looking forward to sex... though, I haven't had it in over two years (my choice this time)....with no chance of getting pregnant.

Questions--
I was told they are going to shave me?!?!? (before or after they put me to sleep?) I was also told that I would wake up with a catheter (sp?).
When can I start walking? Go pee in the toilet?
I heard some get constipated. When can I drive? What level of energy will I have after?

My father lives 2 hours away, both sisters live out of state. My mom died 13 years ago --- I sure do miss you, mom. I live alone. Will I have problems going through this with no one staying with me? My boyfriend lives a mile away and will bring me anything I need. I plan on having low-carb bars and plenty of water near my bed--- in case I can't get up. (or don't feel like it).

How long do people usually stay in bed for the majority of the day?

Thanks for letting me get these questions out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2003, 01:47 AM
Glad you found hystersisters

Hello,
I am so glad your friend led you this way!! I found it by accident. Anyway, I am no expert. I am having a vaginal hysterectomy on May 12 and most of my info has been from the various sites here. Look under Hints section...preop. It is on the far left of the home page. It has lots of useful info!! I would think the shave would occur while you are asleep( at least I hope so). Yes, a catheter is needed in the beginning. Depending on exactly what the doctor plans to do will determine the type of catheter you will get...a foley type that goes in through the urethra into the bladder, or a supra pubic type which is inserted at the pubic line and goes into the bladder. From what I understand the supra pubid one tends to be used on women who have bladder work done as it allows the bladder to recover faster. I have heard women having catheters in from a day or two up to a couple of weeks and in very rare cases longer than that. The nurses will want you to walk relatively soon as it is important for the bowles to start functioning and to prevent blood clots from forming in the legs. Usually the very next day after surgery they want you up a little. Constipation is common however the hospital will more than likely give you something for that.However drinking lots of water, walking, and eating the p foods(prunes, plums, pears, ) will help!! ?Fiber foods also will help. When you can drive will depend on the extent of your surgery and what type of vehicle you drive(stick or automatic). I have heard doctors reccommend one week to 4 weeks. My doctor said I can drive in one week. I am having bladder work done also. Energy level will take awhile. THe women I have chatted with say that although they feel better the second week, don't let that be the reason to over do it!! YOur body is still healing on the inside and it will not take much to overdo it and get tired. I believe I read up to 6 months to get the energy level back you had before the surgery. However, people recover at different times. But, your body will take a while to heal . I believe I read it takes up to a year to be 100% recovered. Since you live alone I would try to get your boyfriend to stay at home with you for the first few days you get back from the hospital because it will be hard to know exactly what you can and can't do until you get back to your own space and have a chance to evaluate the situation. You may feel like you can handle everything on your own while you are in the hospital, but once you actually get home it may be a different story. You will need to rest a lot the first few days. However, you will not be bedridden. YOu will need to get up like I wrote before. Hope this has been helpful. Check out the other responses. More than likely someone who has first hand knowledge will respond. Like I said, the info I have here is only from my own research!!! Many hugs to you.!!! Feel free to e-mail me if you need to chat. Paula
Unread 05-07-2003, 03:36 AM
Questions and Thoughts

Hi and Welcome!

I'm sorry to hear you've been having such a rough time. I'll try to answer some of your questions from my experience with my TAH. Everyone had a different experience with both surgery and recovery.

Ask your DR about shaving. I have read that some are asked to shave themselves and some are not (because of the chance you might nick yourself). As for me, my DR asked me to shave and described where and how much. They also did some finishing touches when I was at the hospital (my stomach area where the incision would be) while I was awake. I was glad to be able to do the majority of this in privacy and the nurse said I saved her a lot of time. Again, ask your DR.

A catheter was put in after I was asleep. I was very glad to have one because there was NO WAY I was interested in getting out of bed to use the bathroom. Especially with all of the standard IV fluid. The pressure of standing up the first time was quite painfull. By day two it was much more tolerable. Later the second day, when I was ready to venture to the bathroom, they removed it. It came out very easily. The first few times I went, I ran the water in the sink. Nothing like the sound of flowing water to get you to relax and go!

One word of caution about catheters. Make sure they tape it to your leg. I fell asleep on mine and clamped it off. Woke up in terrible pain. Once the nurse figured out why I was so uncomfortable, I filled almost the whole bag! Ahhhhh.....relief.

I was given stool softeners in the hospital and had a good supply of prune juice waiting at home. Constipation can be avoided with pleanty of little walks and LOTS of water. No problems for me.

Now 3 weeks post op, I'm finally starting to drive. In very small trips. It's still uncomfortable to be a passenger so I'm taking my time with this one. Each time I'm traveling out a little further as I feel more comfortable with myself and other drivers on the road.

My energy level is slowly coming back. Please remember that you're going to have major surgery. You're going to be tired. It's your bodies way of healing. This also gets better every day, but it takes time. I've had to learn a lot of patience.

As for having someone with you, it might depend on what kind of surgery you're having. I came home on a Friday and was very glad to have hubby with me for the weekend. By the time Monday rolled around, I was fine with him going to work. In just a couple of days, I was ready to be on my own. He came home early for the first few days and by the afternoon I was really appreciative to have his help.

My surgery was on a Wednesday and I came home Friday morning. It was a good experience. No regrets what so ever!

Hope it helps.

Best of luck with your surgery. Let us know how you are doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2003, 06:47 PM
Questions and Thoughts

I had a TAH and was out of the bed every commercial break 48 hours after my surgery. I was going nuts in the bed. Good thing I went home the next day. The day of surgery and the day after I didn't feel like moving at all and slept alot. The 2nd day after surgery I was up and showering and using the washroom by myself and walking the halls alot. I was a sore, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The DR who released me commented that I hadn't taken much pain meds. Didn't really need much. I took my last one the night I came home from the castle.
At home I had no trouble taking care of myself. I was even able to get in and out of my waterbed, which surprised me. I didn't need to sleep during the day. I tried it one day thinking I needed to get extra sleep to be a good and I was up until 3 am because I wasn't tired. That was the end of napping for me. The first 2 weeks I got up about 7am, rested in the couch recliner and watched movies, read books, and did paperwork all day, then retired to bed around 7 or 8 pm. Only problems I had was bleeding for 10 days post, gas pain 11 days post for 3 days, and a dehydration episode 10 days post. Everything else has been a breeze, with an occasional gust now and then, before returning to a gentle breeze once again. Good luck on your castle day
Unread 05-08-2003, 03:59 AM
WOW-Great information! Thanks!

Man, after reading the remarks to my questions, I am feeling MUCH better! My surgery is on Wednesday morning and I talked to my boyfriend about staying with him for the weekend. (I will decide by the time I am released). I have plans to keep plenty of water bedside, and some SlimFast bars close by.

Thinking about starting a "diet" while on medical leave--- maybe exercise in the pool? (Is that ok?) I also have a treadmill in my house. Then I can go back to work tan, rested and slim.

If I do the Atkins diet, I won't have the constipation

Thanks everyone for the good ideas and notes to ease my mind.
Two weeks from this morning.... and counting.
Unread 05-08-2003, 06:17 AM
Re: Questions and Thoughts

Originally posted by Scottsdale

"I have had no pain, but have had major clots, bleeding for several years. I have a fibroid inside uterus. After reading the posts I have mixed feelings about my upcoming surgery. (Removing uterus and cervix only) Hoping to go vaginally, but may have to do it the other way. (She had a hard time finding my cervix--- no kids, no sex.... kind small inside there. )"

(Happy writes)
Have you thought about getting another opinion before surgery. I know this may sound silly but I've had better luck with my dr or other caregivers with longer fingers. A nurse on the maternity floor could not feel my cervix because of her short fingers and it was the dr himself that had to adequately find my cervix. He said it was way in the back. When I was in labor all three times, the nurses with shorter fingers always had more trouble finding my cervix because they weren't able to get to it. Just a thought.

(from Scottsdale)
"Looking forward to not having to spend money on all the "stuff" I have to buy and store (at work, in my purse, in my car....) Having to change the "stuff" anywhere from every 15 minutes to every hour... sometimes lasting for months. Not knowing when or IF it will start, even while being on Birth Control Pills."

(Happy writes)
That's one of the main reasons I had my TVH. Life is grand.

(from Scottsdale)
"Looking forward to sex... though, I haven't had it in over two years (my choice this time)....with no chance of getting pregnant."

(Happy writes)
Make sure your dr. knows about your plans. I've heard that some women have had to use vaginal dilators after surgery to prevent them from having a hard time resuming sex after surgery if none is planned. Something about the way we heal.

(from Scottsdale)
Questions--
"I was told they are going to shave me?!?!? (before or after they put me to sleep?) I was also told that I would wake up with a catheter (sp?)."

(Happy writes)
I did not get shaved before my vaginal hysterectomy even though I was told they would. The dr. made up his mind before my surgery. I had a catheder. Most of us do for surgery to keep the bladder empty.

(from Scottsdale)
"When can I start walking? Go pee in the toilet?"

(Happy writes)
Usually the next day depending on how you are doing. I didn't get up till the second day because of an epidural and the catheder was actually nice to have with all the I.V. fluids going in me. I would have been up to the bathroom all night if it weren't for the catheder.

(from Scottsdale)
"I heard some get constipated. When can I drive? What level of energy will I have after? "

(Happy writes)
Opiate pain meds can cause constipation. You can ask how to prevent this. I was finally able to drive at 3 weeks post op. Check with your insurance as some won't cover you for a certain amount of time after general anesthesia. My energy was less. For some reason this surgery makes us more tired.

(from Scottsdale)
My father lives 2 hours away, both sisters live out of state. My mom died 13 years ago --- I sure do miss you, mom. I live alone. Will I have problems going through this with no one staying with me? My boyfriend lives a mile away and will bring me anything I need. I plan on having low-carb bars and plenty of water near my bed--- in case I can't get up. (or don't feel like it).
"How long do people usually stay in bed for the majority of the day?"

(Happy writes)
My father traveled from out of state to help us out. Mostly it was to help us out with the kids while hubby visited me in the hospital and we needed the extra help. My father was also there in case I needed blood as he is the only surviving family member with my blood type. I tried to spend at least the first two weeks in bed, reclining, and limiting sitting to no more than 30 min at a time. I was told that overdoing sitting would cause pain in my groin from the newly attached ligaments. Some have overdone sitting and have paid for it in major pain. Short walks were good. I'm not talking around the block or anything like that. I did want someone there for my first few showers and because I couldn't drive my hubby took me to my dr's appointment follow up at one week.

Good luck to you.
Unread 05-08-2003, 06:42 AM
Questions and Thoughts

"Thinking about starting a "diet" while on medical leave--- maybe exercise in the pool? (Is that ok?) I also have a treadmill in my house. Then I can go back to work tan, rested and slim"

After major surgery is not the best time to diet. You need to eat healthy to help you heal. Make sure your dr. knows of this possible plan you have. You only have one chance to heal right.
Unread 05-08-2003, 06:43 AM
Questions and Thoughts

hi... i had a tvh/b.repair so i can tell you how i personally got on... ofcourse we are all different..... i was not shaved but i did wake up with a catheter... which i went home with and took it out myself on day 6.. this was not painful and i had no problems at all with it.... i believe if you only have a tvh they take out catheter the following day.... i had a spinal as well as a general... the spinal was for pain relief when i woke up.. i had no pain or constipation.... i was a little uncomfortable and my back was rather tender.... they encourage you to get up and walk as soon as poss. i was walking around the following day but i felt very tired and kept dozing off.... my recovery has been very good.. but you have to rest even if you feel okay... the healing is done within.. so you may feel good but you are still recovering.... 10 weeks on i feel great but i still get tired.... i was not allowed baths until my 6 week check and i was not allowed to drive until 4 weeks... overall i feel good... i have had bad as well as good days... but it truly is the best thing i have done for my long term health.... i wish you well.. mary. xx
Unread 05-08-2003, 07:41 AM
Questions and Thoughts

Scottsdale, Just a note to add on here about exercising in the pool. I wasn't allowed in the tub, hot tub or swimming pool until after my 6 weeks check-up. (I was told nothing in the vagina for 6 weeks, and this includes water from any source). Please do make sure to ask your doctor about doing this.
And as for the dieting, please don't restict your calories too much while you are early post op. Your body will need nutrients to help heal itself. Again, you could ask the doctor about a safe and healthy eating plan that could help you cut back on calories, while still getting the important nutrition that you'll need.
Take care!!
Unread 05-08-2003, 07:53 AM
To Scottsdale re: Atkins diet

Hi,
Just wanted to mention I was on the Atkins diet last year and lost almost 70 lb, BUT one of the main side effects from that diet IS constipation because there is very little fruit and not much in the way of veggies. I think it is a great diet but have had many troubles with constipation. As long as you keep up your water, maybe some Metamucil (sugar free) and sometimes stool softeners, you should be okay.

I agree, though, post surgery probably not the best time for a diet (though you don't want to overdo on the ice cream, either!).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register