Benefits and risks of keeping the cervix? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Benefits and risks of keeping the cervix? Benefits and risks of keeping the cervix?

Unread 03-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Benefits and risks of keeping the cervix?

Hi beautiful Ladies,
First off, I am so grateful to have found this site! Real life support is hard to find because unless someone fesses up, there is no way to know if they have undergone what you all have, and I am about to go through.

My surgery date is set for March 14th and I am silently terrified! I am set to have a TAH with a possibility of bilateral ovary removal (sorry, I forgot the term) as well.

In my mind I would like to salvage what I can, however the Dr. recommends the cervix go too, though has left the final say up for me to decide the day of. I have heard that if I retain it than I still may experience the pain I have now. If I loose it sexual function may be altered or diminished. Given that info, I think health is more important than the latter, but I was hoping to find out from both sides how you feel and how life has been affected post op with or without the cervix.

I am thankful for any replies. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2008, 04:32 PM

Hi Misskris26,

You can get two schools of thinking on whether to keep the cervix or not.

I had a LSH and kept my cervix. I was a good candidate to keep it since I had normal pap smears for years and it was sturdy. My Dr. told me that cervical cancer occurs in 3% or less of women...and I read on Hyster Sisters...that over 70% of that 3% also have a HPV...which was another reason for me to keep my cervix...since I knew I did not have a HPV.

I also read in my general research that the cervix is the size of a large button and that it secretes a mucus that helps with vaginal lubrication. In pre-op, my Dr. also told me that the cervix helps with future pelvic support and with sex.

In my case...I am glad I was able to retain my cervix. In the end...just do what is *best* for you. That is what is most important.

Mary
Unread 03-07-2008, 05:16 PM

i kept mine also. first i wanted to keep anything that was healthy as i think every organ serves a purpose. the recovery is also quicker if you dont have your cervix removed. during my research i also read a lot about it helping with future pelvic support, lubrication and sexual pleasure. i also kept my ovaries to avoid surgical menopause and hormone replacement therapy. the best thing you can do is lots of research and try to make the best decision for yourself. you have to be comfortable about your decisions. good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2008, 05:24 PM

I Also Kept My Cervix. In Some Things I Researched & Talked About The Cervix Also Helps Support The Bladder. I Already Experienced Bladder Problems So I Didnt Want To Do Anything That Would Cause More Problems There. Good Luck & Dont Worry!!
Unread 03-07-2008, 11:20 PM

Thanks for your responses. I would like to keep my cervix and really anything else that is healthy. For those of you who did keep the cervix, do you have occasional bleeding? If so is it painful like before surgery? My only fear is that if I do keep it I may need additional surgery later.
Unread 03-07-2008, 11:49 PM

My Dr. Advised Me That There May Be Some Occassional Light Spotting Due To The Glands In The Cervix. I Had Some Spotting 3-4 Days After ,but Up Til Now None. I Had Alot Of Pain , Cramps, Bleeding,etc... Before My Surgery. Now I Still Have Some Pain ,but Im Still In The Healing Process. As Long As You Have Had Clear Paps In The Past You Should Be Ok To Leave Your Cervix. I Didnt Make Up My Mind About My Overies Until Right Before They Took Me From Holding Into The Surgery Room. Its Totally Up To You & You Need To Just Ask Alot Of Questions & Read. Dont Let Anyone Make You Feel You Need To Go This Way Or That Way. Good Luck!!
Unread 03-08-2008, 12:23 AM

I just wanted to let you know I had my cervix removed (I am hpv neg but had cervical cancer anyway) The reason Im writing is to tell you that in case you do end up having to, or decide to, have your cervix removed, dont worry about lubrication or sexual issues. The ovaries actually are the items responsible for telling all of the glandular cells to produce the secretions. (believe me I have had no problems in that area) I was also afraid of what might be lost sexually once the cervix was gone since I was very aware of my cervix during orgasm. Im happy to report all systems work perfectly and although its different than before surgery, the difference is in a good way...no more pain and no more cramping...plus Im 100 times more sensitive inside.
The decision is completely personal however and if you want to preserve everything you can, do whats best. I had no choice in the matter but havent had any loss or regret and wanted you to know...in case you decide, or they decide it has to come out.

The reason they say it helps with pelvic support is because a lot of doctors were (some still are) just sewing up the vaginal cuff that is made when everything is removed, and not attaching it to the abdominal muscles. Therefore it was like a sock..just up there and very likely to fall (prolapse) some only stitch a few places, sort of like a tack and this also can lead to pelvic prolapse. My doctor uses the proceedure of completely attaching the top of the vaginal cuff to the stomach mucles along with tacking up the bladder and colon into the places they were, as of the uterus and cervix were still there. He also "quick tacks" the tubes and ovaries into place so they dont just "float around"I have hundreds of internal stitches, but I know that I have great pelvic support.

Whatever you decide, we all will be here for you. Im easily reached on here or via my private email in you need to talk
Kim
Unread 03-08-2008, 12:58 AM

I still have cervix only because adhesions to the bladder were so bad. They were able to separate the uterus from bladder; however, stopped when got to the cervix. My doctor doesn't feel that there is any real benefit to keeping it, for sexual reasons or pelvic support.
Unread 03-08-2008, 07:19 AM

one question you will want to ask your dr is if he cauterizes the cervix. that should really minimize your chances of spotting/mini periods. i have never had one.
Unread 03-08-2008, 09:22 PM

dressedupinblue,

I had never heard of that! I will ask that question. Thank you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register