LAVH vs. TLH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-18-2013, 01:08 PM
LAVH vs. TLH

I had my pre-op today and thought I was having a LAVH but when I saw my paperwork, it turns out that I am having a TLH instead. I've tried researching the differences between the two procedures but can't really find much info. The two seem very similar. Can anyone tell me what is differences are? Or direct me to somewhere on the site that has the info?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2013, 01:17 PM
Re: LAVH vs. TLH

They are very similar surgeries. At first I was scheduled for TLH, but they switched it to LAVH. Here's a helpful link I found : http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1839957-overview. The second paragraph tells you the difference. The two procedures do not seem radically different to me, but it seems TLH was preferred by my docs.
Unread 01-19-2013, 08:06 AM

Thank you for the link. It helped me understand things better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2013, 09:32 AM

:ywelcome9: I was just thinking it might be a good idea to ask your doctor why she/he decided to change the procedure. That way you can make sure you are both on the same page and that there is nothing else that has been changed that you don't know about. Can't hurt to ask.
Unread 01-19-2013, 10:12 AM

If you click on Hysterectomy Options in the blue bar across the top of the screen, you will find some easy to understand explanations we have put together about each hysterectomy type.

The biggest difference between the LAVH and TLH is the vaginal involvement. With the LAVH, the uterus is delivered vaginally. Depending on the surgeon, the cuff can be created vaginally or on the pelvic side.

With the TLH, the total surgery is done laparoscopically and the uterus is typically cut and removed through the small lap incisions. Whether or not the uterus can be cut into strips can depend on the diagnosis. For instance, when there is a cancer concern the uterus should be removed in one piece.

To make things a bit confusing, some doctors will deliver the uterus vaginally even with a TLH. Thus, to find out specifically how your surgery will be done (i.e. will your uterus be delivered vaginally, in one piece, or cut into strips), you will have to ask your surgeon.

S
Unread 01-19-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser View Post

If you click on Hysterectomy Options in the blue bar across the top of the screen, you will find some easy to understand explanations we have put together about each hysterectomy type.

The biggest difference between the LAVH and TLH is the vaginal involvement. With the LAVH, the uterus is delivered vaginally. Depending on the surgeon, the cuff can be created vaginally or on the pelvic side.

With the TLH, the total surgery is done laparoscopically and the uterus is typically cut and removed through the small lap incisions. Whether or not the uterus can be cut into strips can depend on the diagnosis. For instance, when there is a cancer concern the uterus should be removed in one piece.

To make things a bit confusing, some doctors will deliver the uterus vaginally even with a TLH. Thus, to find out specifically how your surgery will be done (i.e. will your uterus be delivered vaginally, in one piece, or cut into strips), you will have to ask your surgeon.

S
The reason I assumed it was a LAVH in the beginning was because he is removing the uterus vaginally. After he told me it was a TLH I was confused because of the vaginal involvement. I thought that was only done in LAVH. Thank you for letting me know about the Hysterectomy Options. I will definitely check it out. My hysterectomy is being done because of precancerous cells found during a biopsy. I can't remember the exact term for it though. And that's why he wants to keep it in one piece. If he can't remove it vaginally then he will have to make the large incision which I am really hoping he doesn't have to do.
Unread 01-19-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsie 1122 View Post
I was just thinking it might be a good idea to ask your doctor why she/he decided to change the procedure. That way you can make sure you are both on the same page and that there is nothing else that has been changed that you don't know about. Can't hurt to ask.
I don't think he changed the procedure. I assumed it was a LAVH because he is removing the uterus vaginally. I guess I should have asked but I was too excited that it slipped my mind. lol!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register