2 days till op & scared!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2  days till op & scared!! 2 days till op & scared!!

Unread 07-03-2004, 07:53 PM
2 days till op & scared!!

My op is booked in for this Tues and I'm so churned up thinking about all the what if's etc. I've had hassels with my last 2 c-sections so don't have good history with surgerys.

Any one got any last minute tips or advice for me to assure me I'm doing the right thing. I was tempted to cancel a few days ago but then thought about the no quality of life I'll have if I continue with my existing problems.

Thanks... Ange
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2004, 08:34 PM
It'll be o.k.

Dear Sister, I wrote pretty much the same letter 10 weeks ago!
I know how you're feeling, I also was freaked out but just a little note of reassurance, one day in the NEAR future, all of it will be forgotton. I had three C-sections and had scar tissu, adhesions, things were stuck to things they shouldnt have been and a golf ball size tumor at the end of my stick area. The took only my uterus and I'm fine now. You will be too! What kind of anesthisia are you having? I had a spinal with anesthia and it was great. NOOOO pain in the recovery room at all! The first two days are hard but it will go by sooo fast. Just make sure you stay in and rest for the first 21 days and you'll feel great in no time at all. I have been pain free for about 4 weeks now and even went to Lake Mohave on Vacation last week. Boating and all. So rest assured and always remember that we are all with you and will be holding your hand in spirit on Tuesday. Smile, You'll do great! Cindy
Unread 07-03-2004, 09:33 PM

I too wrote a similar post a few days before my op and was totally freaking out - panic attack style. But I pressed on and it really wasn't anywhere near what I expected. If you are like me, you are congering up all of the what ifs...in your mind and that can really freak you out. Visualize a safe, successful surgery, an easy recovery. That's what we are hoping for you.

And maybe in three weeks or so, you'll be responding to a post similar to the one you started, easing someone else's fears.

The waiting and nail biting is the worst!

Thinking about you,
Lori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-04-2004, 02:27 AM
Join the Club

I was petrified before mine - right up til the last second.

But, my darling, we don't have a choice do we. What's the alternative? Mine was constant periods and pain. What's yours?

It's 'normal' to be very worried. I made it through and am healing, thank God. While I was waiting to go to theatre I kept thinking of alllll the women who have had hysts - you are NOT alone.

I too have a problem with surgery, 4 out of my 6 ops I had to go back to hospital, but guess what, this hasn't been so bad and eventually I'll be stronger and healthier than ever. Wow!!!

I am amazed when women say they're looking forward to their hyst!

I go back to work tomorrow and I'm worried about that. Let's worry together hey? Then we can worry about having sex again. This is a great site where we can all vent our worries and pray for each other.

I'll add you to my prayers, as I felt probably a lot worse than you do right now (before my op). I have panic anxiety depression and I truely was petrified.

I pray your op goes smoothly and u have a beautiful recovery. Keep us posted please. Huuugs and blessings + See you soon : )
Unread 07-04-2004, 05:25 AM

What you are facing is very normal and I encourage you to keep focused on the positives of this surgery. Try to put your past experiences right where they belong.......in the past. This is a new endeavor and you are going to do great!
Unread 07-04-2004, 10:25 AM

I flipped out before my surgery, several times. I made sure the life insurance policies were easy to find. I wrote good-bye letters to my family and tucked them in my suitcase "just in case" - tossed them out before I left the Castle. I went to the Castle and filled out Advanced Directives. I prayed. I called friends who had hysters years before me for reassurance. I hadn't found this web site yet or I'm sure I would have logged on the entire weekend before I went to the Castle on Monday morning.

I had a panicky bladder that morning even though I had not had a drink of water since midnight, so I kept going to the bathroom while I was waiting my turn to go dress for surgery. I almost walked right out the front door 1/2 hour before I was put in my gown, but I couldn't figure out how to get the DH to meet me in the parking lot to drive me home!

Start by knowing that a lot of us have these panicky feelings - it's a natural reflex emotion. Also know that you have prayer support here among the Sisters if you want it, and our positive thoughts will be sent your way.

When I went for my Castle's pre-op class, the A man explained that we were safer under his care than we were driving across town to get there. That did help me to calm down.

Try something pampering for yourself, to help you relax and take your mind off the pending surgery. A long bubble bath soak (You'll miss those during recovery) or a beauty facial, etc.

Hope you're able to cope with this 36-48 hours, we're rooting for ya!

Best wishes for an easy pre-op prep time, an uncomplicated surgery and a comfy recovery. We'll be here to read/write with you when you feel comfy sitting in a chair to post.
Unread 07-04-2004, 10:54 AM
normal reaction

I think your reaction is pretty normal, especially with your past surgeries.

I am 9 days post op for a TVH. I obsessed over every little thing. The pain, my newly diognosed high blood pressure, my job. I was so nervous.

A few days before my op I broke out in itchy hives called urticaria, or stress hives. I am still covered from the top of my head down my back to the base of my bottom. They have been more of a problem than the op was. So I made more problems for myself by not relaxing and having confidence that everything would be fine. And it was.

I am doing so well from the TVH I am amazed. The pain can be controled. And it is a blessing what prayer can do for your state of mind. Positive attitude, better faster recovery. I wish I had listened.

I wish I had found this site before my op. Listen to what these wonderful sisters have replied. My thoughts and prayers will be with you on Tues. I know you will do great!

vetta
Unread 07-04-2004, 11:45 AM
scared

Hey Sister,
You sound just like I did less then 2 weeks ago. I found this site the night before going in for surgery and what a blessing it was. I talked myself in and out of the surgery 100 times that day. You have all of us praying for you. Put your energy on planning little projects that you can do lying on the couch during recovery. If you are anything like me resting drives me crazy so anything I can do sitting or reclining makes me feel part of the human race. Try to keep an open mind. I also have had complications with prior surgeries so I understand how you feel. Trust that your Dr.'s
will do everything within their power so that you have an easy recovery. Try to rest and relax I know it "aint" easy but try. God bless you and know that we are praying and keeping you close.
Kim
Unread 07-04-2004, 01:15 PM
focus on the positive

I was like you too, even though I wanted it, had tried the alternatives, and put it off for a long time.

I feel silly now because I wasted all that time worrying. Who knows what to worry about, so you worry about everything. NOTHING was as bad as I thought.

Know that you will be uncomfortable, need to rest a lot after, will need to drink lots of liquids and go for short little walks a few times a day. Know that you will need family to help at least for the first few days until you see what you can do.

I am not two weeks post op yet, and I have showered by myself since the 1st day home, been able to do steps slowly, be able to do a lot more than I thought without trouble.

At least it will be happening soon now, just get through the next few days and you will be on your road to recovery.
The docs and nurses are the professionals, we have to trust somebody knows what they are doing!

Have a Fourth of July hot dog, corn on the cob, and some watermelon. Watch some fireworks, and let the time fly!

Unread 07-04-2004, 02:02 PM

You know what? The worst part of the whole TVH was when they put the IV in the wrong vein. I was ready to leave and cancel the surgery... but then I thought that was silly after all I had been through. My surgery was a little over 2 weeks ago and I feel great. I've been walking through the pasture and even watered the garden several days. You HAVE to listen to your body. When you are tired- rest. Drink water often and take stool softeners as soon as possible. Having a BM for the first time after surgery can be a bit scary. You will be glad you had your surgery... just like me! Hang in there!!!!! The waiting is the worst!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register