Scheduled TVH Surgery next week/my son has mono | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery next week/my son has mono Surgery next week/my son has mono

Unread 08-27-2009, 06:59 AM
Surgery next week/my son has mono

Hello everyone!

My TVH is scheduled for next Tuesday the 1st of September. I have 4 kids (ranging in age from 9 months to almost 17 yrs), and yesterday I was at the dr office with the oldest. Turns out he has suspected mono-hasn't had symptoms long enough for the test to be positive, but he has every symptom of mono. I asked the NP if I would be ok for surgery, and she said as long as I wasn't kissing him or drinking out of the same glass as he does I would be fine. I am still nervous though. My mom is kind enough to keep him for me, but I am curious as to my recovery and his recovery going on at the same time. My mom said he can stay at her house as long as needed, but still.....I feel like a bad mom not taking care of him. Has anyone else had something like this happen??? If so.....HELP!!!!!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2009, 08:16 AM
Re: Surgery next week/my son has mono

Please don't feel like you're a bad mom; I think that it's wonderful that your mom has offered to help

I have a handicapped DD and was really grateful when friends offered to keep her for a few days after my surgery. She enjoyed it too, it was something special for her. Maybe your son will feel that way also. Grandma will probably pamper him

Right now and after your surgery, you need to concentrate on yourself - it will benefit your family, too, for you to be able to heal as well as possible.

Best wishes.

Unread 08-27-2009, 09:57 AM

hugs! Honestly, I think you are a good mom for having this surgery. If you've been in pain and had limited activity, the kids may feel like they are getting their wonderful mom back. Take advantage of mom's offer of help. If anyone is going to take as good of care of your son as you would, it is probably mom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2009, 10:12 AM

Don't feel like a bad Mom. You found a great place for him to be & it will probably feel like an adventure to him. You have to take care of yourself right now & get through your surgery & recovery. He will understand that. Just try to relax & know you will soon be healing & everything will be better. Best wishes.
Unread 08-27-2009, 10:20 AM

Don't feel bad at all. He will probably enjoy staying with your Mom. You need to take care of yourself too.

When I was doing my internship for my Medical Assisting degree my two boys both caught pnuemonia. It was horrible. But my Mom stepped up and took them home with her for almost two weeks.I felt guilty and first but I knew that I couldn't lose my place in school when I was almost done. The boys had a great time there and were spoiled rotten!

I am having my surgery on the 1st too. Best wishes for a full and easy recovery.
Unread 08-27-2009, 10:32 AM

Don't feel bad about not being the one to care for your son, you have medical concerns also and taking care of yourself helps to care for him.....as welll as your other three.

I had mono at just about the same age as your son, so from experience I can say that he will be just fine. It takes a while to fight the infection and he will sleep quite a bit but it really isn't the major worry that it is made out to be sometimes. I can also say that the doctor is correct in the ways mono is passed and that you are most likely safe. No one else in my family ever came down with it. Maybe that will help a bit with that worry. Let your son enjoy a bit of his grandmother's pampering, sleep a lot and eat soft foods or soup when he feels up to it (he won't eat much either). Consider talking to the school about returning half days when he does return, it made a lot of difference in keeping me from getting too far behind. And don't fret about his grades too much this grading period. The infection and constant fatigue make concentration a bit difficult. In the end everything will be just fine so take care of yourself and be prepared for the return of your bouncing baby boy ( cause they are always our babies despite what they may think).

Best of luck and lots of healing hugs to the both of you.
Rebecca

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register