Did you smoke before your surgery and not quit?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did you smoke before your surgery and not quit?? Did you smoke before your surgery and not quit??

Unread 12-11-2009, 06:39 AM
Did you smoke before your surgery and not quit??

Just wondering, if anyone out there continued to smoke cigarettes, up to and including their surgery date?...I am a 2 pack a day smoker, and have being trying to quit without much luck. my surgery is 1/6/2010.
I have been for all the pre-op tests, chest x-ray, EKG, blood work, all came back fine..then they sent me for a pulmonary breathing test..no results yet...I am petrified!..What if i cant quit, and they have to put me on a respirator!?!...So i would love to hear from anyone who has the same issues as me!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2009, 07:07 AM
Re: Did you smoke before your surgery and not quit??

I smoked like a chimmeny. I would try to cut back but it did not work for me. I was reck everytime I tried. Good Luck (Dont stess yourself out).
Unread 12-11-2009, 04:27 PM

I smoke about a pack a day, and am not quiting....I went for my pre-op yesterday and my blood oxygen is 99% which is great for a smoker, the pre-op lady actually said that smokers tend to heal quicker cause they get up to move alot soon.........so I would not stress yourself out about it

TAH Dec 16, 09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2009, 04:45 PM

I am actually going to try to quit before my surgery for two reasons: (1) My daughters would like me to quit before my next granddaughter is born (I only smoke outdoors) (2) My husband was told during his last surgery that smoking slows the recory process.

I do not know if I will be successful, as I have failed many times before. But I am going to try again. Good luck, with both the surgery and the smoking!
Unread 12-11-2009, 06:10 PM

I'm a heavy smoker with high blood pressure, diabetes and obesity. I have sleep apnea too, am 40 years old.

I did fine during and after surgery. I had to use an incentive breathing apparatus after surgery which is basically blowing into a tube several times a day. They did that just to help me get used to breathing again but it wasn't because I'd had problems, it's just what they do for smokers.

Not suggesting that smoking is "OK" but this was my experience. No issues at all.

Best wishes!
Unread 12-12-2009, 09:22 AM

It is not only your blood oxygen but your lungs that they are concerned with. They can and will cancel your surgery if they hear any wheezing or breathing related issues. Get the patch or nicorate gum and do your best. I cut down from a pack a day to 6. I could get through the day but the night was a killer.
Also practice your deep breathing exercises so that you are filling up all your lungs to breath not just the top half. When you take a breath you want your chest and abdomen moving, filling from bottom of your lungs to top, count as you inhale and exhale so that you are taking in as much as u can and releasing all the air from your lungs
Unread 12-12-2009, 04:22 PM

I was a pack a day for 20 yrs smoker when I quit smoking in early October (before I knew I would have my TAH). I also have activity induced asthma which is well controlled. TAH was on Nov 17 and I had problems with blood ox after the surgery. It would drop to 89% because I had a lot of phlegm in my throat that I couldn't cough up yet. They had me do the breathing incentive thingie and I had to take my albuterol inhaler about 4 times a day in order to cough the stuff up. It took a good 2 days for my pulse ox to be steady at 98% and for that silly machine to stop beeping...

Good luck with your surgery and hope all goes well for you!!!!
Unread 12-12-2009, 05:55 PM

Try to cut back at the minimum. This is a stressful time and of course stress triggers smoking. In Jaunary 2009 my gyno suggested hysterectomy and I quit the day he suggested it. Well it was kind of easy for me because I also had a lump on my breast so I was starting to think I maybe have the "C" word. So I was scared straight.

In 2007 I did have a LSO and a 7cm dermoid removed while being a smoker but I cut back significantly before surgery. I also had to use the machine but I was ok in the end.

I'm not sure if smoking is as bad as they say, because all over the world people smoke and I don't hear of the lung cancer scares in Europe, Africa and Asia. With that said, its your health so you have to do what is best for you. I personally smoked but didn't like it, the smell the bad taste in my mouth, but I was addicted. Its been almost one year and I'm glad I quit, but it took several years for me to get there.

Good luck!
Unread 12-12-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingmoons View Post
Just wondering, if anyone out there continued to smoke cigarettes, up to and including their surgery date?...I am a 2 pack a day smoker, and have being trying to quit without much luck. my surgery is 1/6/2010.
I have been for all the pre-op tests, chest x-ray, EKG, blood work, all came back fine..then they sent me for a pulmonary breathing test..no results yet...I am petrified!..What if i cant quit, and they have to put me on a respirator!?!...So i would love to hear from anyone who has the same issues as me!!
I smoked like a chimney also but I did stop 8 hours before surgery and for 3 days after.
You will find that it is easier to stop when you are in pain. They also help you out with a patch, they gave me a new patch for everyday I was in there.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register