Traveling 2 weeks post op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Traveling 2 weeks post op? Traveling 2 weeks post op?

Unread 03-15-2005, 05:18 AM
Traveling 2 weeks post op?

Hi Sisters,
Our DS's spring break is during the second week after surgery. We own a house in Texas and we have been trying to get it ready to sell. The trip takes us 6 hours of driving and the very thought of all that driving without surgery is depressing and tiring.

Will I be ready my second week to ride that far? Is it safe as far as my healing goes? What do you think? DH doesn't expect me to do anything while we're there but I'm not sure if I even need to go.

Thanks. I'll be having a TAH/BSO two weeks from today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2005, 05:37 AM

I had a TAH a week ago today and I'm feeling great. We plan on going on Spring Break as well 17 days after my surgery. It will be a 13 hour drive. My Dr. says that as long as I'm am feeling well and will not be doing any heavy lifting that it is fine for me to travel. As mentioned everyday on this post, everyone is different but you tend to hear that bad cases rather then the good. I have only take motrin since I left the hospital, never had any bowel or urinary problems and have felt great, other then getting a bigger swelly belly at the end of the day from walking around the house too much. I am well aware that my condition could change but at this point I am packing my bags.
Unread 03-15-2005, 07:07 AM

Hi, this is something that you really need to discuss with your dr. Then do as he/she advises you.

I had a tah/bso 2 1/2 years ago and I could NOT have traveled that far at 2 weeks post op myself. I was barely leaving the house for short local trips by then. But, each person is different.

Best wishes, I'll pray that all goes well for you.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2005, 08:18 AM

Hi Sister
I can only speak from my own experience....

I'm with (((jeanus))), there is no way I could have sat in a car for hours on end 2 weeks post op.

That said, I've met several ladies here who could easily have travelled that far at 2 weeks. It all depends on you.

Your doctor will be able to advise you, but I think it will pretty much depend on how you feel. Don't push yourself, as it could set you back in your recovery.

many s
Tam
Unread 03-15-2005, 09:00 AM

Everyone is so individual - I personally couldn't imagine taking a long car trip 2 weeks ago (I'm 4 weeks post op today). I'm not sure I could sit more than 1-2 hours in a car now. Discuss it with your doctor and good luck!
Unread 03-15-2005, 09:34 AM

Hi,

I'm 8 weeks post-op from TAH at 2 weeks I was still sore and would need to move around some slowly of course lol, but sitting in the car was not something I could do for long. When I had my first doctor appt 2 weeks after surg. I rode about a half hour each way I was stiff just from the short ride in one position. but that was me everyone heals at their own pace. One suggestion I would have is to make sure if you do go that you get out of the car every hour to two hours to move around so that you don't develop blood clots from sitting to long.

Hope all goes well and just take it easy,

HUGS

Diana

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register