Your first solo driving spree? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Your first solo driving spree? Your first solo driving spree?

Unread 11-25-2005, 06:56 AM
Your first solo driving spree?

Morning ladies,
I was just curios about going on your first solo driving spree.
My doctor said, that I would be released to drive after next week, I am about 11 days post-op, as of this moment, it is still difficult to sit straight up in a chair for long periods of time.
I am becoming stronger though, each day I am able to tolerate sitting up longer, and visiting my favorite site.
So, my questions to all you post-op drivers, or soon to be.
1. When were you able to drive? week of post-op.
2. How long were you out before returning?
3. How did you feel?
4. If you went out shopping, did you feel exhausted on your return?
Well my dear sisters, hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving, if you don't celebrate that holiday, I still hope you had a great Thursday, take care, God bless all.
Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2005, 07:10 AM

1. When were you able to drive? week of post-op.
3rd week
2. How long were you out before returning?
5 hours
3. How did you feel?
Fine on the way there. I had to visit my 90-something year old grandmother. It's a 200 mile round trip. I had to do it. Driving is not strenuous. I would advise a lumbar support pillow whether you are the one driving or not. I had the arch my back or pit my fist in the small of my back.
4. If you went out shopping, did you feel exhausted on your return?
No shopping, but I felt dead when I got home. It wasn't so much the driving. It was everything such as helping her walk and get in and out of my car and throwing her walker in the back of my SUV.

I always hit the wall at about 2:30 no matter what I do. I didn't get back until 2:30 and still had to pick my daughter up from school and dig up dinner.

It was stupid, but something I just couldn't get out of. I just don't know when I'm going to lose my grandmother. Life happens I guess.
Unread 11-25-2005, 07:26 AM

Catracks,
About when after your surgery did you go on your trip? and I just wanted to tell you that you are a lovely person to be out taking care of your grandmother after you just had surgery. You get points in my book.
May God bless you, I will keep you, and your grandmother, in my prayers, take care, God bless.
Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2005, 09:56 AM
me too

Hi Cindy:

I'm watching the responses to this post too, because I'm released to drive on Monday and I'm planning to drive the 30 minutes to my gyn for my 2wk post-op, and back, alone. Then later I'm planning to drive my DD to gymnastics, a much shorter drive but I'll also be staying to watch (think I'll probably go up to the balcony area where I can lay down LOL).

BTW I have relatives near Oxford...we had our family reunion at Heuston Woods (sp?) two years ago.
Unread 11-25-2005, 10:20 AM

Sissy,
18 days. I want to make clear that it was not hysterectomy. What I had was abdominal myomectomy. The huge fibroid was in the wall of the uterus. My GYN had to reconstruct it. While I don't have the HRT problems, there are many similarities in recovery. I have a bikini line on top of an old c-section.

I do stupid things when I forget that I am recoving. I just put a 22 pund turkey in the oven. It hurt. I am a poster child for what one should not do.

I was so tired at 7:00 after thanksgiving that I begged to go home. That is not like me. I hope this tiredness quits soon.

I have my graduation on the 17th (finally at 40!) I thought I'd be back in shape HAH!

I love this site. I'd be so in the dark without it.
Unread 11-25-2005, 10:46 AM

Hi ladies! I went on a trial run 2 weeks after my TVH. I drove to the mall, about 5 miles. I was not on any pain meds, drove slow. After that my daughter drove me around for a week. Then I started taking short trips to the grocery store, stayed close to home. I never felt any pain or pressure. My Dr. never said anything about driving so I just took it easy and felt that I was strong and condident enough to drive.
Unread 11-25-2005, 10:53 AM

Catracks
You are a great person taking care of your grandmother like that. I hope to have a wonderful granddaughter some day. Prayers to both of you. Take care!
Unread 11-25-2005, 01:38 PM

I can't wait to get out of the house. Today's it's snowing. That will put my outings to a new challenge. Cabin fever already?
Unread 11-25-2005, 02:38 PM

I hear you Willow Women, I was wondering if you had a time limit before your doctor will allow you to drive?
All the other sisters who have replied to this thread, thank you for the input, it makes waiting a wee bit less painful.
Listen to me as if I had doc's ok I would be out driving around, lol
I can't even sit straight up for long periods of time, and right now if you could see me you would laugh at me, with all the pillows I am sitting on, or next to. Take care my dear sisters, God bless.
Cindy
Unread 11-25-2005, 02:51 PM

My doc told me: The usual is 4 weeks post op, but as soon as you feel you could slam on the breaks if you needed to, you could drive....so I'm not there yet. I'm doing great at 11 days post op in my opinion. I listened to a Surgical Recovery Hynosis CD for 10 days before my surgery and continue to play it at night to go to sleep. It's so positive and relaxing. I feel it was a major contributor to how well I do feel. My mind and my body are finally working together on something. I was pain free after quicking the pain meds 5 days post op. I'm sleeping well, I'm getting around great. I'm sitting for long periods of time at the computer.... My only real down side is the weepies.....and this to shall pass I'm told.
I love this site and have learned more here than anywhere else. Thank you Hyster Sisters for sharing and caring.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register