Scared - LAVH scheduled | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared - LAVH scheduled Scared - LAVH scheduled

Unread 02-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Scared - LAVH scheduled

My name is Laura and I am 34yrs old and scheduled to have a LAVH on the 24th of this month and I am really nervous about it -
I have had heavy bleeding and problems for almost 20yrs and did have an MEA almost three years ago -
Which did stop my bleeding but three years later it is causing all of the blood to be trapped in my uterus and causing me labor like pains -

I am just so scared about being put to sleep and about the recovery time - I am a single mom and need to get back to work ASAP -

Does anyone have any advice for me on what should I expect -

Thanks,

Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Scared - LAVH scheduled

Laura,

I am just a few years younger than you and I had an lavh/bso. Now, keep in mind, I am NOT normal when it comes to surgery. Seriously, I can have a laparoscopy on Friday and be back to work on a monday! I was back to work right under the two week mark after my hyster. My body recovers VERY quickly.

The best thing I can tell you is to read and research. Know both the pro's and con's. Be informed about the decision you are making.

I am really glad you found this site! For me, it was my saving grace. I had no idea what to expect. I spent many hours here reading other sisters stories. Some were scary, some were reassuring. I wanted to know EVERYTHING.

I wish you well and will see you on the post op boards.

Unread 02-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Scared - LAVH scheduled

Here is my list of notes I made. Maybe some will help you be prepared.

Before surgery I would get your house set up as well as you can. Make sure you are stocked up on simple things like toilet paper. I stocked up on things like tuna fish & soups so you don’t have to cook anything. Lunchables are a good idea too. I would clean everything as well as you can like bed sheets, laundry & floors/carpets because it will be a little while until you can do those things alone. I suggest setting up a station for yourself for when you get home. You will want everything in reach like the remote control, drinks, snacks, hand cream & your medications.

Medications: I made sure I had lots of Gas-X (my biggest pain from the surgery was from gas & bowels getting moving again). Prunes can really be good here or applesauce. I needed Anti-diarrhea pills (I don’t get constipated) & Preparation-H (I get diarrhea easy). I got some pedia-Lax (baby colace) because the adult colace is too strong for me. I had some Urinary Tract pain relief (over the counter) on hand because it takes a while for your bladder to go back to normal. I never did have a UTI but sure felt like I did & the Urinary medication helped a little (it will turn your pee very orange). I used Vagisil to help with the little bit of irritation & dryness. You can also just use KY jelly for dryness.

Items: You will want a pick up tool. No matter what you do you will drop something & bending over is not an option. I needed a shower bench for the first week. It is great just to let the warm water run over your body but if you are not steady & are still weak the shower bench is a huge help. Try to take even a small shower even if you feel you can’t because it will help a little with the soreness. I used a walker for a few days on & off because you may have you back hurt because you carry yourself a bit different because of the swell belly. I am also over weight. One great thing I did was hooked a basket to the walker & found it very helpful to keep little bags of snacks (pretzels/crackers) & your medications & your journal (to write down when you take meds) in the basket. That way it is always with you & in your reach. The first week (if you have no appetite) just eat what you can & worry about nutrition next week. I made sure I had an electric blanket (I could not get warm for the first 2 weeks) & leg warmers. I stayed in my nightgown & found those really helped me stay warm. I had a lot of Cranberry juice on hand to help my bladder feel better & get fluids in me. You need lots of fluids.

The more you walk, the faster things will get moving, even though you wont feel like walking much. I wish they would have gotten me up in the hospital.

The faster you can get off the narcotic pain meds the better. They can make your stomach very upset & constipate most people. After day 3 I found I didn’t really need them anyway because when they wore off I felt worse than if I would not have taken them. If you can take Motrin that should help with the inflammation.

Things not to do: Do not eat anything red. Do not wash your hair with antibacterial soap or it will really itch.

I am doing really good now. I hope that helps a little. Best wishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Scared - LAVH scheduled

No real words of wisdom for you, sorry.
Just wanted to let you know that I think the nerves about being put under for a procedure and what to expect afterwards are very normal. I just had another surgery on Thursday, and even though it was minor, I was a nervous wreck. It went incredibly well though and I'm hoping my hysterectomy on Monday goes just as smoothly.

I've had so many laps done (with a LOT of work done separating everything in my abdominal cavity) and I've always recovered well from those, that I'm telling myself that this won't be any worse. I'm trying to stay positive, and have been up until today when my stomach started to flip flop. All normal though (at least that's what I keep telling myself! lol)
Unread 02-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Scared - LAVH scheduled

Staying positive is a huge help. & It is very normal to be scared about any surgery.
Unread 02-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Scared - LAVH scheduled

I am scheduled for the 17th and I can say that I am very nervous as well, I am actually having the same problems and only 31 years old. I will definately be posting for post op board. But I think these are some great tips for myself as well thanks

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register