General anesthesia - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

General anesthesia General anesthesia

Unread 07-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Re: General anesthesia

oh, i was sick...blech!....even with the meds, thankfully it passed pretty quickly, and once i got rid of the meds pump, it went away completely
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2010, 02:09 PM

I never got the meds pump...they made me request the meds when I needed them for pain. That was a bigger pain. I requested not the have the lala land before being put under...that can make me sick too. Glad it went away for you quickly, I hate that feeling.
Unread 07-01-2010, 02:15 PM

They did not give me the "la la" meds either...i guess i was calm enough, even though my blood pressure did not show it!....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2010, 05:10 PM

I was given a spinal in the pre-op and then given the loopy meds for the surgery. The loopy meds pretty much made you sleepy and in and out of it through the surgery and you couldn't feel a thing. I was a little afraid of this because I have always been under a general anesthesia in the past. I was told that a spinal gives you better pain relief for 24 hours and that is why they recommended that route instead of a general. Good luck with your surgery and I hope everything goes well!!!!
Unread 07-01-2010, 05:42 PM

Wow- I didn't think of this- that gets me very nervous. I had a spinal for my 2nd c-section and I would really prefer not to go thru that again- I think it was just too much medication for me at one time(I had 5 shots in the back). My blood pressure dropped to 50/20, I passed out in recovery and they had to pump other drugs in to revive me. I also had hives so I had another drug in the IV- and I couldn't feel from the waist down until the next day. Unlike the epidural where I felt great and showered an hour out of recovery (albeit with the pain meds still in) I will definately talk about that with my anesthesiologist at pre-op; I'd rather have general than spinal any day!
Unread 07-01-2010, 05:54 PM

i had general anesthia twice last year for a bilateral mastectomy and then correction of the reconstruction of a few months later - the dr s were very kind and thorough in their description of what to expect. for me they put the meds in the IV and off I went. they can also give you a little circular patch behind the ear to help avoid naseau.
Unread 07-01-2010, 06:38 PM

Nausea is a common problem with general anesthesia. Talk to the doctor and a lot of times they will give you something to help with it. I know that some doctors give you something to relax you before giving you the general. I had some stuff before and then he put the med in the IV and I went to sleep.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register