Vertical scarring? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vertical scarring? Vertical scarring?

Unread 10-12-2001, 01:44 AM
Vertical scarring?

How may people have had an abdominal hyst with vertical scarring? I have a friend who had an large uterus and large fibroids who had to have a vertical inscision. This is a very rare form of practice, or so I am told, but I was wondeing if any of you have had it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2001, 02:15 AM
Vertical scarring?

Hi Leigh,
I had a vertical incision, from the belly button to the hairline. In my case it was because I had ovarian cancer, and they had to have a good look around in there and this was the best choice. Its been a year, and my scar is faded almost completely at this point. Its still certainly noticable, but getting very light now.
Maria
Unread 10-12-2001, 05:34 AM
Vertical scarring?

I had a vertical incision and the scar has faded nicely. It's very faint pink in some spots and nearly invisible in others, and the skin is very smooth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2001, 07:47 AM
Vertical scarring?

Dear Leigh:

I am having a TAH/BSO on 10/23 with a vertical incision. This is due to bowels being attached to abdominal wall from scarring from past surgeries and/or endo. I currently have incision from 1993 from about 3" above belly button to hair line. They will go in same incision, but this time approx. 6" above belly button.

To be honest, my 1993 incision did not heal well. It is thick, a little raised, and a medium pink. It is very noticeable, but after all this time I no longer think about it.

The general surgeon who is going to be doing the opening and closing and bowel work this time told me that horizontal incisions heal better because they are in the natural fold of your skin. Vertical incisions go "against the grain" and therefore do not heal as nicely.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of this news, but just wanted to be truthful with you.

I am trying to focus on getting rid of my pain and not on the incision. I know, though, that there is a sense of vanity in all of us. I will be thinking abou you! Many, many hugs and prayers!
Unread 10-12-2001, 08:56 AM
Vertical scarring?

I had a vertical incision due to the size of my fibroids (we grow 'em big in Texas!).

Like Dana, my scar is kind of ugly. I feel pretty self-conscious about it, but at least physically I feel better, right?
Unread 10-12-2001, 08:58 AM
Vertical scarring?

I had a vertical incision that started below the hair line and came up around my belly button. I huge tumors one of which went up as far as my rib cage. My scar is gone in some areas but very noticable in others. Around the belly button is red and raised (not too bad) and the lower part is really noticable (it healed slower as well since the skin is so delicate and seemed to pull apart more). The rest is not bad after almost 2 years. Since I don't have the figure to be showing my belly, it does not bother me at all.
Unread 10-12-2001, 09:32 AM
Vertical Incision

I had the "Stem to Stern" cut when I had ovarian cysts removed nearly 10 years ago.
Yeah, they were gianormous; dinner plate & grapefruit size.

It was a little difficult to heal in some spots (staples instead of stitches) but once it got going there was no problems. Now I have to point it out... When or if the subject comes up LOL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register