Pls Help.LeepVs.Hyst? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pls Help.LeepVs.Hyst? Pls Help.LeepVs.Hyst?

Unread 04-10-2007, 12:31 AM
Pls Help.LeepVs.Hyst?

Hi ladies, I'm new here and very thankful I found this site, I don't feel so alone now! Anyway, I have mild dysplasia, CIN 1, for the second time. I had a leep in June of 06, and now have a couple more spots on my cervix. My doctors, both gyno and gp think a hyst would be the best idea since my dysplasia returned so quickly. My doc thinks she can remove it vaginally and I will get to keep ovaries unless she feels at the time of surgery they should be removed. I'm 39 and have 2 grown children. However, I'm getting really emotional at the thought of not being able to conceive even though i have considered myself done having children for a long time. Both of our children recently moved out and my DH and I are going through empty nest syndrome, and now this!!! My life is just changing so quickly & I'm freaking out! My surgery is scheduled for May 8th. Unless I chicken out & cancel/reschedule. This just seems so radical for mild dysplasia! Has anyone else gone through this with mild dysplasia? And should I be seeing a oncologist obgyn, instead of a regular obgyn? I didn't even know they were out there until I read someone elses post. I just feel so ill prepared & ignorant to all of this! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2007, 05:07 AM
Pls Help.LeepVs.Hyst?

Hi Lilac67! I had a LEEP a few years ago. At the time, my gyn told me that if the dysplasia came back that we would seriously discuss a hyst. I also thought that was a little radical, not that I was unopposed, I had wished for a hyst for years!!! But anyway, he kind of explained it that if the dysplasia came back that it might KEEP coming back which would mean repeated LEEP's and I don't think they like to keep doing those??? He made it sound almost like that if the dysplasia came back that it was a sign that the cervix needed to come out. For myself, I was totally for a hyst if it came back because I couldn't stand the thoughts of walking around with that dysplasia threatening to come back.

Even though I didn't have any bad paps again, I do have a polyp on my endometrium. Due to the fact that I have HUGE anxiety over my paps every year now and I would now have HUGE anxiety over the possibility of more polyps, (also horrendous periods) my gyn agreed to a hyst!! I'm scheduled for April 17 and excited as can be!!!!!!

Good luck with yours!! I know a hyst sounds radical-I'm 41-my friends kind of raise their eyebrows and I know what they're thinking-but you will never have to worry about the possibility of cervical cancer again!!!!! And no more LEEPS!!! What a relief that will be!!!!!!
Unread 04-10-2007, 07:41 AM
Pls Help.LeepVs.Hyst?

lilac, first of all, i would recommend seeing a gynecological oncologist, and having that doctor do the leep, if that's the way you go. i had recurring cervical dysplasia, and 2 leeps. when the dysplasia recurred after the second leep, the only option at that point was a hysterectomy because there wasn't enough cervix left for another leep. but, i'd certainly try a leep before a hysterectomy, and see if that eliminates the dysplasia. i had a tah/bso, and the surgery and recovery are quite major. (and, just fyi...for my history, i had had dysplasia 10 years prior, treatment with cryotherapy and 5fu, and no dysplasia for those 10 years.) so, that's my experience and two cents! best wishes to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Pls Help.LeepVs.Hyst?

Hi Ladies, I also was told while I was pregnant with my daughter, 21 years ago that there were precancerous cells back then, however all my paps were normal until last year. I got really lucky until now, and I shouldn't say that...I am lucky having found it early. And guess I am leaning more towards just getting it over with...the worry of it turning for the worse and spreading is driving me nutty! I'm finding a few friends of mine. who are acting as if this is something I want! Others have been great..but of all my friends and family none have gone through this and I felt really alone until now. Thanks to this site and you gals!!!
Thanks for your "two cents" Joannel...it sure all adds up to a lot of help, I'm going to check into and talk with my dr. about a gynecological oncologist.
Mathteach, good luck on the 17th, you'll be in my thoughts and prayers. I look forward to hearing how it went. I wish I was as excited as you! The only thing that sounds good to me is no more periods...yea!
Thank you both for you help!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register