Ovaries/Cervix~should they stay or should they go now? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovaries/Cervix~should they stay or should they go now? Ovaries/Cervix~should they stay or should they go now?

Unread 04-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Ovaries/Cervix~should they stay or should they go now?

Laproscopic Hyst scheduled this Thursday. Met with surgeon last Friday. Her partner, my Gyno, had said that I should be able to just have my troubled ( adenomyosis, enlarged, etc...) uterus removed. When I met with her partner, she recommends taking the ovaries. And poss the cervix. Geez. Now I'm confused. As much good about taking the Whole Enchilada that you read, you can read the same info that opposes it. I'm 51, with not much family history to judge by, in terms of Ovarian Cancer. The thought of taking my cervix and having a "seam" at the top kind of creeps me out. I think I'll give up the ovaries, though, because of how hard it is to detect O Cancer. And the left one has been a major source of grief my whole life.

Sorry to ramble. Thanks for any input!:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Re: Ovaries/Cervix~should they stay or should they go now?

Hi! I'm still up in the air on the cervix myself...as far as the ovaries, can you take HRT? If so, that gives you more options to consider. Do you have a history of ovarian cancer or cervical cancer in the family? The answers there may also affect your decision. I'd suggest talking to your doctor again before surgery re: the pluses and minuses of keeping/retaining ovaries and cervix--make a good, informed decision based on risks/benefits for you personally. Hope all goes great for you!

Dee
Unread 04-12-2011, 06:55 AM

I looked at it as the more parts I have the bigger chance of having problems later. I did keep my ovaries simply because I am 41 and Dr said that unless there was a problem with them to leave them since I was still probably 15 years till menopuse and I would be miserable. Yes the cuff thing bothered me too but I have no idea its there and I have no risk of cervical cancer now as I had reoccuring precancer cells before. It's a hard decision but my Dr was very open and left the decisions up to me and I left it up to him of when you get in there do what you would do if I was your wife or mother and he was good with that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2011, 11:47 AM

I had no choice. I guess that question is really up to the doctor. In May 2000 before I went under, I asked to keep my ovaries. I woke up finding out they were gone, and much later, was surprised to find out that I had a cervix! In another month, it looks like I may have to get the cervix removed. Whatever!!!! I just want a real life! I want to be able to be active again - like my 86 year old mom with a hip replacement.
Unread 04-12-2011, 01:47 PM

If you have a choice keep ovaries if there healthy but remove cervix.
Unread 04-12-2011, 02:47 PM

I had a tumor on my right ovary and thought about keeping my left ovary (despite problems with cysts in the past) but it was shriveled and the doctor removed it along with the cervix. I will be 51 in October, and I have not found the hot flashes/night sweats to be that bad at all. I doubt I will take HRT.
Unread 04-12-2011, 03:29 PM

Thank you, ladies for the kind words. All of my friends have sailed through life with none of these problems, so it really helps to have a support system here. 2 more days.
Unread 04-12-2011, 04:17 PM

I had two doctors telling me to keep it and two to remove it.
my surgeon who is a ancologist and top top Doc said he was going to remove it. i trusted him because he has seen a lot, and i thought in going thru this only once, i figure i am younger now and can do better than if i wait.

In the flip side my friend kept hers, after 8 weeks of doing wonderful and recuparating she's got to go thru the surgery again to remove it because she started to bleed and have "mini Periods" when she told me I did not know what to say. my heart goes to her because they are opening her thru the same areas she got opened the first time, so she called me the day before the surgery, I had decided already but it helped me to be even more sure.
Unread 04-12-2011, 08:36 PM

lavendarstars, how bad were your friend's mini-periods? I have read that only about 7%-25% of women get the mini-period, and that even then it is only a little bit for a day.

I decided to keep my ovaries because they seem fine and I don't want to deal with hormone replacement and menopause until I have to. Also the ovaries give off helpful hormones even after menopause I have read. I decided to keep my cervix also because i haven't had an abnormal pap smears or cervical cancer in my family. I have researched a lot and have decided that the cervix likely plays a role is orgasm and sexual functioning also. I figure the less taken out the better because once something is gone there's no getting it back. Also it seems from reading on here that many of those who have the vaginal cuff instead of leaving the cervix in have problems.

I say do lots of research and that will help you make a decision.

Good Luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register