Anyone had a spinal/epidural for their hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone had a spinal/epidural for their hysterectomy? Anyone had a spinal/epidural for their hysterectomy?

Unread 06-24-2011, 04:47 AM
Anyone had a spinal/epidural for their hysterectomy?

My surgery is next Wednesday 29th and I saw my anesthetist today. He told me he usually does spinals with light general aesthetic but will do whatever I am comfortable with. We will be discussing it more on the day of surgery with the gyno performing it too.
I have had 3 c-sections but was put under general each time so don't know what it is like to have a spinal. I don't like the feeling owhen trying to wake up from general aesthetic and the doctor said today that with a spinal the general aesthetic doesn't have to be so heavy so it helps with waking up and also the spinal helps with the pain upon waking.
I am trying to weight up the pro's and con's of both and would like some input from people who have had both.
I am having a vaginal hyst leaving both ovaries. As I have had many other pelvic surgeries it may possibly end up being an abdominal hyst if he is unable to do it vaginally.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2011, 09:37 AM
Re: Anyone had a spinal/epidural for their hysterectomy?

On Monday (6/20) I was given a spinal/epidural for my hysterectomy and light anesthesia. Would I go this route again?....definitely!!!!! In the past general anesthesia made me very sick. Granted, in post-op it took a while to regain feeling in my legs and feet, but not throwing-up for hours after surgery made it well worth it. Good luck next week.
Unread 06-26-2011, 08:59 AM

This was my first time having surgery. I have heard people say they woke up with no appetite. Surgery was that morning and I was ready for lunch by 12:00noon (broth, jello, & juice). I may not be the norm.

I did not have any complications but the pain medication did make me nauseous. I had to take nausea medication as well.

I have never had a spinal or epidural so I cannot say if it is better. It may be helpful to make a list with all of your questions and call to speak with your Dr.'s office to have all of your questions answered. I called the Dr.'s whenever I had questions days before the surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-26-2011, 08:23 PM

I had spinal/light general with my surgery too & it worked well for me. I didn't require any pain killers post-op, as the spinal was left in for the 1-1/2 days I was in the hospital. I had my surgery on a Wednesday afternoon & was up walking Thursday morning. My legs were a bit stiff, so it felt funny, but I was able to walk around with no problems.

For me, this worked really well & I would do it the same way again, but it's a really individual choice.

Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 06-27-2011, 10:19 AM

I had spinal with light IV sedation too and I don't remember a thing, woke up with the epidural still in and feeling NO pain, NO nausea, none of the yucky sore throat you get from general, etc. I LOVED that they were able to do mine (TAH/BSO/removal of a whole bunch of endometriosis) with just spinal and IV sedation! I hate general anesthesia, and love spinals. They are just soooo much better if you ask me!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register