Scheduled LAVH Caution: Long Vent | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Caution: Long Vent Caution: Long Vent

Unread 07-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Caution: Long Vent

Hello Sisters,

This is not my first post, but it is a very long rant and prolly TMI in some places...sorry. And if you manage to make it all the way through this vent, Many Thanks for listening.

My name is Gloria. I am a 38y.o. Homemaker SAHM & military wife. I started a countdown 14 days before my scheduled LAVH that includes a special "Glowy Treat" to pamper myself

Here goes....

I am upset and frustrated with my Doc. The whole reason I picked her is because "she's the best". That's what everyone I asked told me. She even has great reviews online. Plus I totally love their mission statement, "Women caring for women."

As a FMS patient I am accustomed to pain. After years of bloating, discharge, breakthrough bleeding, heavy periods, cramps that shot into my hips and down my legs to my shins, strange gushes of clear (or bloody) fluids....well you gals get it...I had had it.

My first visit was terrible. The office was so slow and disorganized. They even lost my referral, I had left mine at home and had to pull it up on my cell phone from my email. After 2 hours of waiting I finally got in to see a P.A. She did a pelvic and said the uterus was enlarge and there was a "mass" on the left side. So they took blood and scheduled me for an ultrasound. She asked why it was so long after my scheduled appointment. When I told her she apologized sincerely.

3 weeks later I had the ultrasound and a week after that I finally met my Doc for the results. "I suspect you have endometriosis and adenomyosis" She said the only way to know for sure was a laproscopy. We discussed treatment options. Horomones, pain management and hysterectomy.

I explained that due to a prior DVT that I was a candidate for only progestin only hormone therapy and that as a FMS patient I take enough pain management to knock out a horse. She recommended a chemically induced menopause which I nixed. Then she told me to pray on it and give her an answer in a week or two. I left the office angry because I felt as though she didn't even bother to read my chart but instead regurgitated the same "standard" info she gives every woman with my diagnosis. "Women caring for women"?

Somehow, I still felt this was the right place for me. The Doc had a warmth about her. It was genuine, even though the meeting I just related sounds otherwise. Yeah I know it sounds crazy, but she did something no other Doc ever has. She encouraged me not only to educate myself, but to make my own decision based on what I "felt" was right for me and my family.

My hubby and I would love more children but we have not been able to conceive again (prolly due to my girlie probs). We discussed things and spent a lot of time researching online. We prayed in our own ways and finally came to a decision. Hysterectomy, but let's keep the eggies

When my week was up, the doc's nurse called and we scheduled the pre-op and surgery. She told me then that it was SOP to obtain the surgical pre cert from the insurance 2 weeks out. Okay, but what about my FMS? Don't we want to coordinate with my PCM any medicinal management leading up to the surgery?Do I have to stoop my meds prior to the procedure? What if the insurance requires another opinion? What if they require additional testing? What will I need to purchase to make my recovery easier? What type of surgery will she do? Does the hospital provide a binder? What type of assistance will I need with 3 yr old at home, 2 teen boys, and stairs.....?

Her response was a small giggle and "it's JUST a LAVH. You'll only spend a night in the hospital and have 3-4 week recovery..." GIGGLE....So I felt like a drama queen, a cry baby, a whiner...Until I started talking to other hysterectomy patients with FMS.

That was a month and 3 days ago. I have called back 3 times to ask if they could pls start coordinating with my PCM and insurance. Nothing...The insurance company says they have to look at the request and supporting tests, diagnosis, etc before they make a decision. They can't just talk to the patient. Understandable. Finally after spilling my entire medical history to a receptionist at the doc's office, I finally got an ally. She was going to go directly to the Doc (like I had asked before). Unfortunately, the ONLY person who does insurance is gone until Monday. (No progress, GRRRR...) The insurance says that it will then take 3-5 business days for a decision to be made.

I'll have no time to plan, coordinate...shop, . Wooosah....

It's 11 days before I visit the Castle (hopefully). My Glowy Treat for today is a Home Pedi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2011, 08:44 PM
Re: Caution: Long Arse Vent

Hi lilwillow,

Wow, I'm sorry you're having all these problems getting your surgery arranged. It's frustrating when the doc's office doesn't get things done in a timely manner. Maybe you need a second opinion. If you're having problems communicating with your doc/office now, what will happen after your surgery and you have questions or concerns? Maybe your FMS doc can recommend someone for you. You need to feel confidence going into surgery not frustration.

I hope things come together soon for you. Please keep us posted.

Unread 07-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Re: Caution: Long Arse Vent

Wow, thats a lot of run around from a great doctor! I think my doctor is great, very hot to, he delivered my 2 kids c- section with anouther hospital than the one he is in now. I love him and thats why I chased him down to do my dvh. I HATE his staff, HATE them with a pasion!!!! They are rude, mean, inconsiderate, disorganized, and at time dumb! I fought this week with a nurse who swore she talked to me earlier this week and then got mad at me because she thought I missed and emergincy apointment she set up. She wouldnt listen to me when I told her IT WASNT ME U TALKED TO!!!!!. Great doctors should really be harder on the staff who work for them. I'm sorry, an I know its stressful and they have no right to make you feel like they did. I wish you the best. HUGS and I will pray for you and your family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2011, 11:41 PM
Re: Caution: Long Vent

Totally agree with Crashn. I know it sucks to think of changing things around at 11 days out, but if you are this unhappy with this Dr and staff now, what kind of time are you going to have post op? I wouldnt want anyone operating on me, if I cant even get them to be remotely accomidating to me pre op.
I have jumped around from Dr to Dr looking for the right one. I either didnt like the Dr, or I didnt like the staff, or I liked the Dr but half the time I was pawned off on other staff...... GROWL.
When I found the Dr I have now, I new instantly his practice was the right fit for me. It was a big sigh of relief. His staff is pleasant, I am always seen by my Dr himself, he listens to me, discusses things with me, and gives me options and choices. I dont feel like a chart number, and my visits arent rushed. He makes me very comfortable. Furthermore his staff has always been accomidating to me. It doesnt matter what I call about I am never giggled at or not taking seriously. Every question or concern I have called about (and trust me during my panicked pre op I am sure I came up with some really stupid and annoying questions) has been handled professionally, caringly, and honestly. I feel important, even to the receptionist.

I know you want this Dr to be right for you this far into the game, but from the outside looking in, from what you have said, I wouldnt settle on this Dr just yet if it were me.
Unread 07-10-2011, 12:42 AM

Sorry you had all these problems. I don't think you are a drama queen at all. Shame on that nurse for making you feel that way. All your questions are legitimate and need to be addressed. You will have a recovery period no matter what type of surgery you have and you will need to be taken care of during this time period. I hope everything goes well for you.

Unread 07-11-2011, 04:02 PM

Hey Sisters,

I finally got notification that my surgery has been approved. Also, the Doc's office called and the nurse was much more understanding. She listened to me, answered my questions, took notes on the ones she was unable to answer and was very considerate.

I feel better about things now. The countdown continues...

It's 9 days until I go to the Castle. My Glowy Treat today is green tea with Savannah honey and some well deserved Zen time

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register