SAH 12 days post op--waking with pounding heart. HELP! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

12 days post op--waking with pounding heart. HELP! 12 days post op--waking with pounding heart. HELP!

Unread 05-28-2013, 11:16 PM
12 days post op--waking with pounding heart. HELP!

Hi everyone:

I'm 12 days post op now and am doing fine except for one thing. I have a history of panic attacks that I thought I'd whipped, but every night since surgery, I've woken with a pounding, racing heart. What's the deal? I'm only able to rest after taking Ativan, but I hate to take that all the time. Anyone else have this issue? I wake up terrified EVERY night in the middle of the night. I don't want to get back into the cycle of panic! HELP???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2013, 01:34 AM
Re: 12 days post op--waking with pounding heart. HELP!

Hi erniewu, this may be way off but i know anaemia can cause a racing heart beat, thats usually my trigger symptom to head off and get a blood test done. Might be worth checking out. Hope you feel a better mighty soon. Take care.
Unread 05-29-2013, 02:16 AM

I had a few panic attacks after surgery, the first on hospital. I had a nightmare when I got home - dreamed that someone was sitting on my chest. Had a couple more day time panic attacks but they were gone by week 2-3. I had started taking iron tablets around then so maybe it was as coumarin says due to anaemia? Panic attacks are not normal for me so I put it down to the surgery. Hopefully yours will go soon too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2013, 06:42 AM

Hi, I too have too suffered from anxiety and panic attacks in the past, thought it was all over with until lately. I would lie in bed every night the 1st week and be convinced I couldn't breath and my chest felt like it was being squashed. The narcotics also made me anxious, I remember jumping off the couch and feeling like I couldn't breath and I convinced myself that immediately after taking my meds my lips were going numb...lol what a nut case eh! Anyway happily those feelings went away after a few weeks.
Unread 05-29-2013, 11:44 AM

I've never had a panic attack, but I did wake up once with a racing heart within the first two weeks of my surgery It scared me, I could hear my blood pulsing in my ears! It never happened again, so maybe it was a bad dream. Or some side effect of anesthesia?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register