Scheduled TVH Upcoming hysterectomy: Help! Horrible Menstrual Cramps and I can't take pain meds. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy: Help! Horrible Menstrual Cramps and I can't take pain meds. Upcoming hysterectomy: Help! Horrible Menstrual Cramps and I can't take pain meds.

Unread 07-19-2014, 02:52 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy: Help! Horrible Menstrual Cramps and I can't take pain meds.

Of couse my period wouldn't spare me since this is my last one. Nope painful and heavy as ever. Since my surgery is the 28th I can't take Aleve. Motrinor none of the stuff that works. Well ok it used to work when I took more than th he dosage but it took th he edge off. I feel like a mac truck is driving over my lower body over and over not too mention all the other symptoms that a good dose of extra strength aleve would dull and put me to sleep for a while. Is there someone who has gone through this before surgery were you able to find other ways to make the pain more manageable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Re: Help! Horrible Menstrual Cramps and I can't take pain meds.

I managed it. I was due to get my period the day I had surgery so the days before I had intense cramping. I did have some narcotic pain meds that my doc prescribed when he told me no NSAIDS. I took them sparingly, but they provided some relief. I also had a muscle relaxer that helped a tiny bit. I used my heating pad a lot, tried deep breathing, and did some crying and toughing it out. It made facing surgery a lot easier because any doubts that something bad was wrong were alleviated. Tylenol does nothing to suppress my pain, but some ladies find it helps. If your doc allows it, you may want to try it.
Unread 07-19-2014, 02:58 PM

Heat - a hot bath or heating pad works wonders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2014, 04:38 PM

My dr allowed me to take ibuprofen up until 4 or 5 days before my surgery and luckily by hen my cramps had stopped, Hope you find some relief soon.
Unread 07-19-2014, 04:57 PM

Thanks Bxrnubz and DaisyDukes. I'm taking a hot shower tonight and the heat will help a little. A bath is out the question the water will end up looking like I slit my wrists.
Unread 07-19-2014, 04:58 PM

I love a hot water bottle also. Usually helps me sleep.
Unread 07-19-2014, 05:04 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy: Help! Horrible Menstrual Cramps and I can't take pain meds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxrnubz View Post
I love a hot water bottle also. Usually helps me sleep.
I wish I had a heated pillow. I've never been able to use hot water bottles for cramps too hard and the pressure didn't work for me.
Unread 07-19-2014, 10:42 PM

Mine is starting right before surgery too. I'm so sorry you're suffering right now. When mine are at their worst I do a heating pad on the highest setting under my lower back. If it's at night and I need to sleep I take 2 Tylenol and 2 Benadryl. I know the Tylenol doesn't do much for the horrific pain but that combo takes the edge off so that I can sleep for a bit. I really feel for you, mine have been just like that for years.. Will be such a relief to not have that post surgery.
Unread 07-20-2014, 12:01 AM

Yes it's amazing how the pain has always been bad and I've always been miserable but never realized until now just how bad until no pain meds at all. Gives it a whole new meaning! Ive been napping a lot probably my body's way of giving relief. Thanks LinkWink. ☺
Unread 07-20-2014, 07:02 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy: Help! Horrible Menstrual Cramps and I can't take pain meds.

You're so welcome sweet lady! I'm so glad you've been getting some naps in.. Rest definitely helps. So thankful we won't have these periods soon. No more anxiety over what's coming every month. I hope you're feeling better today!!! Hugs!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register