Men | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-25-2011, 07:02 PM
Men

I've got the best husband in the world. I really do. But I wish he didn't think a DaVinci hysterectomy is gonna be a cake walk. I'm pretty tough and I'm not a complainer, however I don't think I'll be doing a two-mile mountain hike for a few months after surgery. We've been doing this trek every weekend, but he seems to think I'll just need a couple of weeks before I'm out climbing again. Really? I mean really? I just thought I'd vent to my sistas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Re: Men

Oh my... no, you definitely will not be going on any hikes anytime soon after your surgery. In fact, my Dr. was strict about being a "couch potato" for about 6 weeks after my surgery, or I wasn't allowed to go home from the hospital. Even after 6 weeks, I was cautioned to still be careful, and if I was tired or feeling any pain at all, sit down & rest.

Please remember to rest, rest, rest, and listen to your body! I always tried to remember that I only have 1 chance to recover, so I have to do it right! Good Luck with your surgery...
Unread 06-26-2011, 12:58 AM

Give your DH a copy of CheckPoints Week 1-2. That's what I had to do to get him to realize that this was MAJOR surgery. It's hard when we hear that it's less invasive and quicker healing time, but everyone I've talked to said they were given a 6 weeks recovery time no matter what kind of Hys.t they had. There are also videos of the surgery if you want to show him one of those. There is the "husband's section also. I hope you can get him on board with it. 7 weeks post op. Just starting to exercise mildly. No 5 mile hikes for me yet. Good luck! Cheryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-26-2011, 01:02 AM

The speedy healing is more for the exterior stuff. It still takes a full 6 weeks for the insides to heal, no matter what route they take.

Make DH go with you to the Dr to hear first hand how long you will be off the climbing trail.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register