Scheduled dVH/RALH A Cold? Please no! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A Cold? Please no! A Cold? Please no!

Unread 06-23-2011, 10:55 PM
A Cold? Please no!

Started a new blood pressure med last week and developed a bit of a cough. Read that it is a side affect of the med and should subside in a week or two. But now for 3 days I have literally coughed my flippin guts up all night long each night. Now I'm starting to feel a bit of congestion in my head and cough and feeling ever so slightly feverish. AUGH! I have a 5 day antibiotic script on hold at the pharmacy that I think Im gonna go ahead and fill tomorrow. Maybe I can get a handle on this before my pre op Tuesday! 2 month wait and now Surgery in 11 days, this stinks. I am beginning to think that the stress and anxiety of preop weakens our immune systems and makes us catch these germies easier. Gonna be germ-x'ing after every darn customer next week-my final week at work til the end of July.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2011, 11:10 PM
Re: A Cold? Please no!

Please be positive, don't stress. It will work out! Take care.
Unread 06-24-2011, 12:10 AM

I would call your doctor before taking the antibiotic. It may not be advised before surgery. Also ask them if you can use Zicam or one of the similar cold remedies. Hope you feel better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2011, 03:31 AM

Fingers crossed you are better in time. I came down with a cold about 4 days before my original dare and it turned into an infection 2 days before. I was devastated that I had to reschedule. I still had a bit of a cough on the day of my new date and the anethesist listened to my chest and it was all clear, so thankfully it went ahead. Sending you healthy healing vibes.
Unread 06-24-2011, 10:03 PM

My GYN told me that he leaves medication decisions up to my regular medical dr since that is who normally prescribes and treats me. He even advised me to speak with her about which of my daily meds to take day of surgery. Medical Dr said go ahead and fill them. Ill take the last dose the morning of my preop, and thats a full week before surgery.
Really hope this clears up in time. I havent gotten a full blown cold, I can just tell Im congested some. If all else fails Ill ask GP and GYN about a booster antobiotic shot to knock it out.
Unread 06-25-2011, 03:14 AM
A Cold? Please no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by <3_Olemiss View Post
My GYN told me that he leaves medication decisions up to my regular medical dr since that is who normally prescribes and treats me. He even advised me to speak with her about which of my daily meds to take day of surgery. Medical Dr said go ahead and fill them. Ill take the last dose the morning of my preop, and thats a full week before surgery.
Really hope this clears up in time. I havent gotten a full blown cold, I can just tell Im congested some. If all else fails Ill ask GP and GYN about a booster antobiotic shot to knock it out.
Sweetie take a deep breath and relax. Get some zicam and vitamin c, both really help with a cold. Also drink plenty of water and use a humidifier in your bedroom and get plenty of rest!!! I wouldn't take an antibiotic unless you know it is a bacteria, antibiotics won't do anything for a virus..make an appt with your primary care and go from there. I am sure it will all be ok, but stressing over it can't be helping. Mind over matter tell yourself I am not going to get sick, hang in there it will be ok
Tina
Unread 06-25-2011, 11:01 PM

Thanks
Had to go to my primary this morning for an xray (think Ive broke my foot)
They went ahead and gave me a sinus cocktail shot, wrote a script for Mucinex, and told me to take the z-pak. They tested for strep (negative), and my white blood cell count is good. After the shot and a few doses of mucinex I am feeling much better already.
I am slightly anemic though, and my blood sugar was a little elevated again. They want me back after surgery for a 3 hour glucose test.

As for the foot, bones 2, 3, 4 look "abnormal" but they couldnt see a break. Inflamation and swelling making it hard so they are sending xrays out to be viewed.
Unread 06-26-2011, 02:08 AM
A Cold? Please no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by <3_Olemiss View Post
Thanks
Had to go to my primary this morning for an xray (think Ive broke my foot)
They went ahead and gave me a sinus cocktail shot, wrote a script for Mucinex, and told me to take the z-pak. They tested for strep (negative), and my white blood cell count is good. After the shot and a few doses of mucinex I am feeling much better already.
I am slightly anemic though, and my blood sugar was a little elevated again. They want me back after surgery for a 3 hour glucose test.

As for the foot, bones 2, 3, 4 look "abnormal" but they couldnt see a break. Inflamation and swelling making it hard so they are sending xrays out to be viewed.
Oh sweetie, I am sorry about your foot. I hope it is just a bad sprain but I can tell you from personal experience that can hurt worse then a break. Glad to hear you aren't feeling crummy any more and that you are well enough to have the surgery. I hope your ankle feels better, take it easy and rest rest rest

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register