Overwhelmed | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-06-2015, 11:57 AM
Overwhelmed

Hello Everyone,

A little about me... I am 32yrs old, married for almost 11yrs and have 3 children (13,9,8). I have PCOS and have been having a lot of trouble (pain, heavy periods etc) for years. It first started with intercourse, and now it's all the time. 2 years ago my OBGYN did an investigative surgery and found I had lots of scar tissue (3 c-sections) and my bladder and uterus is attached. At that time, she discussed me having a hysterectomy if the pain continued. I've done ok, with meds, but last week I was admitted to my local hospital with pneumonia and a ruptured cyst on my ovary. I was told in a few days I would feel better...not so! I went back to the hospital and was told that I had a choice of taking meds for three months to mimic menopause to see if the pain goes away and if it works, I'd have a total hysterectomy or I could just go with the surgery. I have no idea what to do, I don't have a mom to ask questions so I'm hoping to find support here. I don't have a date for the hysterectomy yet, I'm awaiting a phone call hopefully by the end of today. Once again I was in hospital early this am with severe pain. I'm currently on pain meds but they aren't working. I feel like this has been going on forever and I'm almost giving up. Depression is hitting me.

Sorry it's so long!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2015, 11:58 AM
Re: Overwhelmed

I should add that I haven't slept in two days, I keep getting nauseous and the sweats...help!
Unread 02-06-2015, 12:21 PM

Hi - really don't want to scare you as I know how scary all of this can be. I wish I had known pre surgery that my bladder and uterus were attached. They discovered this during surgery and had to cut and sew my bladder. Sad to say this has caused me so many problems. I have developed a fistula that I am currently working through. First surgery to repair was a failure - not looking forward to another surgery.
I would definitely talk to your doc about the possible complications. On a bright nite - the recovery from the hysterectomy wasn't all that bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2015, 04:46 AM

I have a suggestion. Why not seek another opinion? I realize you are in a lot of pain, and you are tired and scared. That is all the more reason to find another doctor who can help you see things more clearly. Sometimes it is better to consult a gynecological surgeon instead of an ob/gyn. It really is with the wait to see the right doc. Using a drug to mimic menopause would tell you whether or not your problems are aggrevated by hormones (usually estrogen). However, it would likely do nothing for adhesions (and even induced menopause is no fun- at least for me). It may tell you whether your ovaries are causing problems, but not exactly how. Also know that PCOS is an endocrine disorder and removing the ovaries is not a cure. Perhaps you should consult an endocrinologist as well to determine how removing your ovaries will affect your PCOS. in there. Keep asking questions and find the right answer for you. We're here to support you along the way.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register