different operation carried out after anaesthetic given | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

different operation carried out after anaesthetic given different operation carried out after anaesthetic given

Unread 02-08-2015, 03:43 PM
different operation carried out after anaesthetic given

Hi, I'm really confused and upset, my VH was planned for 5th Jan 15 but cancelled, rescheduled for 12th and cancelled again. Finally booked for 30th but my surgeon was on holiday so another consultant was going to operate (never met them before) I was due to have vaginal hysterectomy due to full prolapse and anterior repair due to bladder prolapse.

Woke up from surgery to discover surgeon had only removed my cervix and posterior repair done instead. There was nothing wrong with my back area and this had never been discussed during consultations or exams. I am devastated. Was sent home after 2 days with no full explanation.

I don't think anyone understands how devastated I am as it had taken me a long time to adjust to having such major surgery. What should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2015, 04:24 PM
Re: different operation carried out after anaesthetic given

Oh my god, I am so sorry that happened to you. I would definitely call your doc and have a conversation about what went wrong, definitely find a new practice to go to and maybe find a lawyer??
Unread 02-08-2015, 04:36 PM

First of all, nice to meet you
I can totally understand how devastated you must feel, I have read your situation over a few times and can hardly believe my eyes.... wow! If you don't mind me asking.... just before you were wheeled into the operating room, did you have a discussion with the surgeon to go over what was going to be done to you? Anytime that I have went in for surgery, I got the opportunity to spend time with the surgeon to go over exactly what was going to be done.

I would start by giving your first doctor a call and perhaps asking them what your next step would be. Wishing you all the very best and please keep us posted on how you make out.

Hugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2015, 04:54 PM

Lou.....what did you sign for .......If it isn't what you signed for then you would have a case for complaint. You must feel so let down...pls let me know what your next steps are x
Unread 02-09-2015, 01:44 AM

Hi, I have been asked to go back to hospital this afternoon to see my original consultant. Reading through articles on this site has given me confidence to challenge what has happened. I had a heart attack 3 years ago at 38 and the hysterectomy was also going to solve my contraception problem as I can't take the pill or use a coil and have been told I must not get pregnant.

I think my two main questions are if this surgery has corrected my problem, was my consultants promises wrong, was he to subject me to major surgery I didn't need or was the replacement surgeon not competent to carry out the vaginal hysterectomy.

As I understand it, I would now have to have the full abdominal operation and given my diabetes and heart problem, this would pose further risk.

Thank you for replying to Mr, I've felt pretty alone the past week. I will post an update when I've been to the consultant this afternoon if that's ok xxx
Unread 02-09-2015, 01:46 AM

I signed for an abdominal hysterectomy and anterior repair when I booked in on 5th January, the new surgeon added posterior repair to the form on 30th January and I counter signed that but that was without an examination x

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register