In need of hysterectomy surgery, but afraid because I live alone - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

In need of hysterectomy surgery, but afraid because I live alone In need of hysterectomy surgery, but afraid because I live alone

Unread 02-16-2015, 10:04 PM
Re: In need of hysterectomy surgery, but afraid because I live alone

Thank you everyone for the advice. I am so glad I found this site! I am trying to get an appointment with the Mayo clinic and will talk to the ladies at the Youth Marine program since driving long distance seems to be one of the main things I need to go easy on. I appreciate the advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2015, 12:16 PM
Re: In need of surgery, but afraid because I live alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backhome View Post
Please consider checking UFE. It is a simple procedure with a quick recovery time.
Your fibroids are relatively small and you might be a perfect candidate.
I'm 18 months out from mine and it's worked well for me.
Also, be sure to get a second opinion. You also might be a candidate for Myosure which also has a quicker/easier recovery time. A hysterectomy might not be your only option.
I did look into UFE after your post. My doctore had spoken tome about it, only he called it a UAE. He says based on the size of the fibroids and the amount of clotting and blood loss, that will not hlep my situation. A friend of mine in NJ had it done and she said her quality of life greatly improved afterwards, so I will see what the 2nd doctor says once I get an appointment and another exam.
Unread 02-17-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna810 View Post
Many people are willing to help, they are just waiting to be asked. Asking for help is the hard part for those of us who are caretakers! Talk to the program director, ask for help, ask for direction, someone who they think would be able to help with your son.

Pre-plan as much as you can. Make meals ahead of time that just need to be warmed up. I would recommend at least 2 weeks worth. Grocery shop, clean what you can before hand. Grocery shopping 2 weeks after surgery wore me out! If someone offers to do something after surgery, accept their help, don't try to do it all yourself.

If you have abdominal surgery, most doctors want you to wait 6 weeks before you drive. If you have surgery laparscopically (sp) you should be able to drive after your 2 week check up.

Stairs are difficult after surgery, my doctor told me no more than once a day for a couple of weeks. I over did that, because I'm used to doing 25 flights of stairs a day.

Bottom line for me is ask for help, ask anyone you can, even people you think may say no. If they say no, go on to the next person and ask. Church, neighbors, school, ask your insurance company, your doctor's office for recommendations, there are people out there to help, we just need to find them! Recovering from surgery is hard, BUT the sooner you get it done, the sooner your quality of life will increase!
You are right. I found someone to handle the local activities and I could let the house fall apart (a little bit). I am still looking into my options, watching videos of testimonials and reading as much as I can.
Unread 02-17-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna810 View Post
Many people are willing to help, they are just waiting to be asked. Asking for help is the hard part for those of us who are caretakers! Talk to the program director, ask for help, ask for direction, someone who they think would be able to help with your son.

Pre-plan as much as you can. Make meals ahead of time that just need to be warmed up. I would recommend at least 2 weeks worth. Grocery shop, clean what you can before hand. Grocery shopping 2 weeks after surgery wore me out! If someone offers to do something after surgery, accept their help, don't try to do it all yourself.

If you have abdominal surgery, most doctors want you to wait 6 weeks before you drive. If you have surgery laparscopically (sp) you should be able to drive after your 2 week check up.

Stairs are difficult after surgery, my doctor told me no more than once a day for a couple of weeks. I over did that, because I'm used to doing 25 flights of stairs a day.

Bottom line for me is ask for help, ask anyone you can, even people you think may say no. If they say no, go on to the next person and ask. Church, neighbors, school, ask your insurance company, your doctor's office for recommendations, there are people out there to help, we just need to find them! Recovering from surgery is hard, BUT the sooner you get it done, the sooner your quality of life will increase!
You are right. I found someone to handle the local activities and I could let the house fall apart (a little bit). I am still looking into my options, watching videos of testimonials researching and reading as much as I can.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register