31yr old, Supra-Cervical hysterectomy Scheduled for February 2nd- a BILLION questions | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

31yr old, Supra-Cervical hysterectomy Scheduled for February 2nd- a BILLION questions 31yr old, Supra-Cervical hysterectomy Scheduled for February 2nd- a BILLION questions

Unread 01-12-2016, 06:44 PM
31yr old, Supra-Cervical hysterectomy Scheduled for February 2nd- a BILLION questions

Hello All! I'm new to this site, so I hope I'm using it correctly.
I'm 31 yrs old, and I'm scheduled for an abdominal hysterectomy on February 2nd where they will remove my uterus, fibroid, and Fallopian tubes. The doctor is leaving my cervix and ovaries. My fibroid is about 7 1/2 cm, and causes cramping, pain during intercourse, heavy bleeding and discomfort. I'm somewhat relieved at the thought of being rid of all the pain, but I'm VERY NERVOUS about the surgery and what to expect! Any words of comfort, questions I should be asking, side effects that I may have, etc. would be SO MUCH appreciated!!! I remember having my first baby and thinking "I sure wish someone would have told me about this" about so many things... That's how I feel about this surgery! I want to be as prepared as possible as to what to expect. Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2016, 06:18 PM
Re: 31yr old, Supra-Cervical hysterectomy Scheduled for February 2nd- a BILLION questions

I had abdominal surgery (cancer) and had everything removed. As I am past the menopause, I had no problems relating to ovaries and as you are keeping yours they should work as before, though sometimes they take a little time to work properly after surgery.

You can expect some discomfort and stiffness in the early days, maybe some spotting (I had none), possibly gas and constipation. BUT, these things don't last for long and there are lots of ways you can alleviate these things.

Once you get home you can start gentle walking on the flat, increasing it as you feel fitter and stronger. No lifting, pulling or pushing in the first few weeks. You're keeping your cervix so this may make things easier.

Hopefully your hospital will give you good advice, and you will know exactly what you should/should not do.

Your number one priority is to get well. Hopefully you have a partner/family/friends to help in the early days. You can prepare things in advance - stocking up your food stores, cooking for the freezer etc.

Good luck and keep posting to let us know how you're doing!

Unread 01-13-2016, 06:36 PM
Re: 31yr old, Supra-Cervical hysterectomy Scheduled for February 2nd- a BILLION questions

Big hugs and welcome!

Here is a link to an article that might ease your mind a bit:

What To Expect for Surgery

You might also read our section called HINTS that have great tips from your fellow sisters.

Try to reduce stress - this was a lifesaver for me because I was driving myself crazy with all the "what ifs". Do activities you enjoy and surround yourself with positive people. Make time for yourself - reading, movies, shopping, good friends, puzzles - divert your mind in positive directions. This is a great way to reduce stress and nerves. Walk, exercise, eat healthy snacks and drink lots of water now - all great ways to help you both mentally and physically.

Ask questions now if your surgeon and Anethisologist. Knowledge is power.

Hugs and you can do this. You are not alone.
We are here to support you on your journey.

PS
Here is a great list:

Must Have Tips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2016, 07:06 PM
31yr old, Supra-Cervical hysterectomy Scheduled for February 2nd- a BILLION questions

Thanks so much!! I called today and luckily got an appt to see my doctor tomorrow (they had a last minute cancelation) just to ask more questions and go over everything again. I'm hoping this helps calm my nerves. Thank you for your encouragement! I'm very glad I found this site!

Ash
Unread 01-13-2016, 07:37 PM

Glad you found us Ash

Here is a link to questions you might want to ask:

What to Ask at Your Pre Op Appointment

I found it helpful to write my questions down so that I wouldn't get flustered and forget.

Good luck!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register