TAH question - Page 3 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-21-2011, 05:59 AM
Re: TAH question

I had my surgry on a Tuesday at noon, it took longer then they expected. Was in my room around 4:30. The plan was for me to stay until Friday. I asked my Doctor to go home late on Thursday. I stayed until after dinner so when I got home I took a shower and then went to bed. I really would not been able to go home any sooner then that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2011, 08:05 AM

I stayed 2 nights - surgery Wednesday morning and home by lunch on Friday. They had told me that Friday was the earliest I would go home, but to be prepared to possibly stay until Sunday. I know they keep you longer if you are nauseated or running fever - so I think it depends on how YOU are recovering. Be proactive about what you need - if you think you need additional time in the hospiatl - speak up! When my doctor came to see me both Thursdaya nd Friday, I was asked what I thought about going home Friday.
Unread 06-21-2011, 02:23 PM

I forgot to add: one more hospital stay criteria my doctor told me during my 5.5 week post-op:

Home environment.

I have a very supportive spouse, no kids at home, no stairs. Had I a less-than-understanding spouse, several wee bairns and/or lots of stairs, she would have signed for a few days (2-4).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2011, 06:40 PM

I had surgery Thursday and left Saturday. I needed the extra day, the morphine PCA made me ill and I couldn't keep anything down on Friday at all. Once they switched me off the morphine, I was fine.

Let me just say that throwing up sucks after you've had abdominal surgery... but not as much as sneezing hurts.
Unread 06-21-2011, 07:11 PM

I had my surgery noon Monday and went home after lunch on Wednesday. They kind of forced me out after my doctor had said I could stay another day (long story) and I felt I needed the extra day. The moral is to not let them force you out before you're ready. If insurance is a concern talk to them beforehand to find out the maximum they'll approve.
Unread 06-21-2011, 07:51 PM

Hi! My surgery began at 12:30pm on a Wednesday, and I thought I was going home Saturday...but, on Saturday I started vomiting...they had me on far too many different meds to call my pain "controlled". I had an awesome nurse who put her foot down and regulated my pain meds and got me on a good schedule. Sunday morning, I was out and ready to be going home!
Unread 06-21-2011, 08:03 PM

I know that my doctor had to say my TAH was outpatient for insurance purposes, but post-surgery they file an addendum or something to require hospitalization. I ended up staying 3 nights and it was definately needed. Same thing happened on my hernia repair. I would bet that if you are having a TAH, you won't be home that day, but you will be home soon feeling better each day forward!
Unread 06-21-2011, 08:14 PM

Hi everyone

Thank you for the post. I am glad to know how long you stayed and why. Thank you thank you thank you.

I did have my pre-op today and talked with her. The plan is to see how i do the first 24hours then if i need more time she will keep me longer.

So i am feeling better about my stay and the game plan after.

Thank you for all the post.
Unread 06-22-2011, 01:14 PM

I was told 3 nights for my stay. My surgery is one of the first in the morning on MOnday.
Unread 06-22-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeres View Post
I forgot to add: one more hospital stay criteria my doctor told me during my 5.5 week post-op:

Home environment.

I have a very supportive spouse, no kids at home, no stairs. Had I a less-than-understanding spouse, several wee bairns and/or lots of stairs, she would have signed for a few days (2-4).
Xeres' post above was the exact same reason I was able to go home the next afternoon after my surgery. A spouse who waited on my hand and foot, and a son as well who also came home on leave(He is active duty Navy) to wait on his old mom(he may have had an another motive because I am also a Navy Chief Petty Officer in the Navy Reserves), but I had not little ones demanding my time so I could just focus on me.

However, there were also certain requirements too that I had to "perform" before I was released so early: 1. You have to urinate unaided by a catheter and give an adequate sample in a set period of time. 2. You have to up and walking unaided and be able to get yourself up out of bed
3. All IVs including the pain pump needs to by removed and pain levels(managed by oral meds) observed for several hours before release 4. You have to eat a full solid meal before being released and drink fluids without nausea

Best of luck and well wishes!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register