Scheduled TLH irregular bowel movements | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

irregular bowel movements irregular bowel movements

Unread 06-21-2011, 11:41 PM
irregular bowel movements

Hi, I would like to ask you ladies should I have my doctor perscribe me something for my BM post-op? I already have issues in that department I only go maybe once or twice in a week and it's very uncomfortable for me. I drink lots of water and eat alot of fiber and that doesn't seem to change anything for me. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Re: irregular bowel movements

Fiber for me is a big It actually makes my bowel issues worse. I would talk with your doctor and see what the doctor suggests. My doctor did have me take stool softeners post op. Also keep in mind that pain meds can be constipating, which can make the bowel issues worse. If you have to take anything, Senokot is more of a natural laxative than something like exlax. Again, do talk with your doctor.

Unread 06-23-2011, 10:40 PM

I agree, talk with your Dr. I plan to at my preop on Tuesday.
Ive been having what I thought were gallbladder attacks. Now Im finding out it is actually probably IBS due to the Hashimotos that I was diagnosed with this week. I never know from one day to the next if Im going to be struggling to go at all, or dying in pain from going too much. I plan to have something on hand afterwards for both issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2011, 12:30 AM

I will make sure to add that to the list of questions for my doctor on my pre-op appt 7/6/11. I don't want to be suffering any more than what I already do for constipation.
Thanks
Unread 06-24-2011, 12:49 AM

Prune juice and if that doesnt work do prune juice and a sm spoon of butter,warm it up in the microwave itl work wonders :-)
Unread 06-24-2011, 09:02 PM

Ithomson, thank you will try.
Unread 06-25-2011, 05:01 PM

Ybarberina did u get your prune juice yet:-)
Unread 06-25-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by <3_Olemiss View Post
I agree, talk with your Dr. I plan to at my preop on Tuesday.
Ive been having what I thought were gallbladder attacks. Now Im finding out it is actually probably IBS due to the Hashimotos that I was diagnosed with this week. I never know from one day to the next if Im going to be struggling to go at all, or dying in pain from going too much. I plan to have something on hand afterwards for both issues.
I am not a medical professional, and that is the first time i heard of IBS linked to Hashimotos...I had a total thyroidectomy i had abnormal cells that come up as hashimotos so i done extensive research after having several fine needle biopsies, anyway, what i wanted to say as well is that i just recently heard that many women are miss diagnosed and that they are told it is IBS, when the symptoms are parallel to ovarian cancer...so I am glad you are having this surgery, not that i would wish anyone to have surgery but maybe your bm issues will be better from this....best of luck
Unread 06-25-2011, 06:17 PM

The plan is to leave my ovaries. Ive never had cysts, and they look healthy on U/S, no family history of any type female cancers. Naturally, if anything looks amiss during surgery my surgeon will remove them.

I went to a thyroid Dr for the first time week before last (my gp has been treating me for hyperthyroid and was confused why I had leveled off and was staying there without medications) Thyroid dr found a nodule and took me in for a biopsy of it. That is how she diagnosed the hashimotos- my thyroid looked "salt and peppered" which is a huge indicator. My biopsy came back normal-just a regular hormone producing nodule. Antibodies bloodwork came back confirming the hashimotos diagnosis. My moms brother was diagnosed with hashimotos 2 years ago as well.
When my thyroid dr questioned me about my bowel patterns prior to examining me I explained to her the issues I have been having and she advised me to see a gastro as my symptoms sounded to her like IBS rather than gallbladder. It was during my researching about hashimotos in the internet that I found an article about hashimotos possibly being linked to IBS and/or celiac disease. (cant for the life of me find the article now)
It could be celiac for all I know, as I am noticing particular foods seem to thrust me into the bad bowel attacks (pizza, wheat bread, and hot dogs that I have found so far) I plan to go to a gastro once I get over the hysterectomy...trying to keep as few irons in the fire as I can right now LOL Thyroid affects pretty much every system and organ in the body, and right now I am at the point where I am teetering back and forth between hyper, normal, and hypo (the hashimotos is pulling me hypo and the nodule is pulling my hyper). I think with the crazy back and forth thryoid hormones that my bowels just dont know what the heck they are supposed to do :-/
Unread 06-25-2011, 11:20 PM

Ithomson,
No I went to the market today and totally forgot. I wish I hadn't I really needed some today. Is there a particular brand that taste better?

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register