Polyps: I PANICKED & walked out on my hysteroscopy (UPDATED) - Page 2 | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Polyps: I PANICKED & walked out on my hysteroscopy (UPDATED) Polyps: I PANICKED & walked out on my hysteroscopy (UPDATED)

Unread 12-04-2014, 10:23 AM
Re: Polyps: I PANICKED & walked out on my hysteroscopy :(

I have anxiety as well and do not like to feel weird, either. My concern would be undiagnosed cancer. My experience with xanax was that I didn't feel weird, just mercifully less anxious. I've had versed for procedures. In small doses it just relieved anxiety, in larger amounts I just went to sleep, no weird feeling at all. My general anesthesia also has been like falling asleep and waking up. New anesthesia meds are like that. I don't know if an epidural would ever be an option for a hysteroscopy but you could ask for an anesthesia consult and try to work out a plan. Anxiety is the pits so I do understand how it drives decisions. I'd encourage you to try to get through this and have the diagnostics completed to confirm that the polyps are truly benign. I know for myself it was a huge relief to get things done and find it went so much easier than I anticipated. Do you have a calming person who could be with you in pre op? Calming music or such? Your health is important, so working out a way to get through this can help for future events, too. I feel for you on this, best wishes for getting through it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2014, 06:49 PM

I would fear the epidural more than general. Having needles stuck in my spine scares me. I have a friend who had one for pain meds after surgery for ovarian cancer and now is paralyzed.

I took a list of the various anesthesia they use noting the ones that are known to more often cause confusion. The anesthesiologist explained which ones he used and why. He said he uses the ones that put you to sleep fast and then ones that allow you to be woke up quicker after surgery.

I would not even fear the D&C. I went in and was out of the hospital in 2 hours. I too had polyps and they also found they complex hyperplasia with atypia. The doctor was certain he got all the precancer cells, but turned out on the hysterectomy that there was a tumor hiding in the uterine muscle. I would suggest you work on getting the D&C then go from there. Most likely that is all you will need, no further treatment.
Unread 02-05-2015, 10:45 AM

Update: Well, ladies... I did it!!! I had my surgery yesterday.... Hysteroscopy, polypectomy, D&C. And, I agreed to the general anesthesia.... And, guess what? It wasn't bad *AT ALL*...

Fortunately, the hospital set up a phone call from the anesthesiologist several days in advance so that we could discuss all of my options (including a spinal) and my fears regarding the general anesthesia. The doc reassured me that general anesthesia was definitely the way to go, especially since the procedure was going to be so short (10-15 minutes at most). Had I decided on a spinal, I could have been in the recovery room for up to 6 hours waiting for the feeling to come back to my legs... And, then I'd be worried for the next week that I might develop a spinal headache (which is NOT good).

The anesthesiologist was so great, he even volunteered to change his schedule so that he would be "my guy" on the day of the surgery. What a relief! I could rest assured the "my guy" understood my incredible anxiety regarding the anesthesia & he was willing to work with me in any way that I needed.

So, when I got to the hospital, I was nervous... But, I took a Zanax in the morning so that I wouldn't be in full panic mode. I repeatedly asked for reassurance from the nurses & the anesthesiologist that my fears were unfounded. (My main fear was that I would feel myself "going under" & then I would panic for dear life. Fortunately, this was not the case *at all.*) I asked for some "happy meds" about an hour before the surgery was scheduled. So, the doc told my nurse to give me 2ml of Versed every 10 minutes - but only when I asked for it. I asked for it 3 times (and perhaps more, but I don't remember much past that 3rd dose...lol). I was totally relaxed at this point & I have no memory of the doc rolling me into the operating room. In other words, I was already out before he put me "out." What a relief that was!

The next thing that I remember was waking up in a dark recovery room & I didn't feel weird at all... In fact, I felt like I was waking up from a really good nap. The nurse gave me some apple juice and graham crackers & then I was pretty much on cloud nine for the rest of the day!

Honestly... I was TERRIFIED of the general anesthesia & I was *this close* to asking for a spinal. But, I am SO GLAD I went through with it & proved to myself that there was nothing to fear. It was nothing like the nightmare situation I had imagined.... And, of course, after I woke up I pretty much wanted to hug everyone - I was SO relieved! lol

Anyways.... Thanks for letting me share my story... And I hope my experience gives "good vibes" to anyone else who's scared of general anesthesia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2015, 05:42 PM

Good for,you for,going thru it! Have a great recovery!
Unread 02-06-2015, 06:04 PM
Re: Polyps: I PANICKED & walked out on my hysteroscopy (UPDATED)

Good for you. I too panicked over general anesthesia when I was younger and had a D & C....I think many of us fear the loss of control.

May you have a strong recovery !
Unread 02-07-2015, 09:46 AM

Congratulations on getting it done! Anesthesiologists are so good at reassuring us, and yours sounds very compassionate. I know I was afraid as well, so I'm glad your experience went well. Thanks for letting us know, I'm sure that will help someone else as well.
Unread 02-12-2015, 07:51 AM

In October 2014 they found I had an endometrial polyp. I did the hysteroscopy with D&C on January 9. When they got in they found multiple polyps. Removed them all. My doctor thought they would be benign because of my age and how I was healthy. She said removal of polyps increased my chance of getting pregnant too. Pathology report came back a few days and the polyps tested positive for endometrial cancer.

Frankly I wouldn't skip the procedure. You need to be sure they are not dangerous to your health. I have GAD too. I hope you are working with a therapist right now. S/he can help you prepare for the procedure.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register