Pre-Op at Drs. office/ some new info for all of you | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op at Drs. office/ some new info for all of you Pre-Op at Drs. office/ some new info for all of you

Unread 05-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Pre-Op at Drs. office/ some new info for all of you

Today I saw my Gyn/Surgeon for my Pre-op evaluation.
My surgery is next Wed. May 10th at 9:30
I had my blood pressure,temperature and pulse taken, and he listened to my heart and lungs. I signed a paper or two and we sat to discuss the surgery.
I am to have no food or water after midnight the night before, other than that , no other bowel prep !
I am not to take any non-prescription medication from today until my surgery, including vitamins, over the counter pain, etc, etc.
I am having TAH, so he will not be injecting any gas into my abdomin, so he said I should not have the terrible gas pains many of the women on here speak about, but he said to bring chewing gum!! with me to the hospital and I will start chewing that day?! I will have no solid foods all day Wed (surgery day) and Thursday, and Friday morning will start with solids. He hopes to discharge me Friday afternoon, after I am able to pass gas. No bowel movement is necessary for discharge!
Surgery will take from 1-2 hours. I will wake up with pain medication pump, and something else for pain will be injected into my rear?
I will have catheter on until day 2. He said my ovaries will stay unless he sees otherwise. I asked about Bladder Tack, and he said he does not do those routinely, he feels the pressure I have now is because of the "enourmous fibroids and uterus" pressing on my bladder. If later on at another time, I would need something done, it is an outpatient procedure.
I asked about the "ovaries falling asleep after surgery and my body thinking I am going through menopause, he said that's nonsense, and the surgery does not affect the ovaries functions. He will not do a tummy tuck!! for that he said I have to make a lifestyle change! oh well I tried!
Upon discharge, a few day later he will remove staples, the interior stitches will dissolve themselves.
First week home, not to leave house, rest and walk twice a day for 5-10 minutes. Eat 3 high protein meals a day.
I can start driving at week 3 and at week 4 will see him for first real exam after surgery.
(P.S. I go on monday for pre-op hospital admit) I will have chest exray, ekg and talk to the anasthesiologist then. I also need to go to a lab this week to have blood work and urine test.
Well that's my story, I would appreciate any comments, as all of our doctors seem to say and do different things.
yeja
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2006, 02:43 PM

Sounds like your doctor and mine have the same belief. I did have gas. Just about everyone does. As for the gum, which is supposed to help with the gas you aren't going to have....doesn't work. I have 2 large packs on my dresser I keep forgetting to throw out....get some extra strength gas-x.
Mine said the same thing about ovaries, even after I had the surgery and experience symptoms. Well he's mistaken. I had the night sweats for 2 weeks, they are gone now and I have hot flushes late evening and all night. He did a good job but I'm going to someone else for the hormone balancing. I personally think my doctor had a no problem approach to my pre-op because it calms us down...why upset the patient. Ovaries for the most part bounce back. Mine is on vacation.
I wish you well.
Unread 05-03-2006, 01:37 PM

What he told you is basically consistent -- no major differences from what I have read all over. Definitely bring the Gas-X, and bring an ipod or walkman. The first week after is the toughest, and it is all down hill from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2006, 01:53 PM

Thanks for the info. I just heard from my main surgeon (I will be having two) and my surgery is a go. I am going to have my hysterectomy done via laproscopy, sorry I don't know all the terms yet.

I am just not ready for all of this. So many reasons.

Good Luck on the 10th!
Unread 05-03-2006, 02:09 PM

None of that is really new but the only thing different was my Doctor said no eating past 12:00 midnight.
Unread 05-03-2006, 07:03 PM

I would have to agree that everyone's doctor seems to be a little different. Mine also told me that I won't have to do bowel prep either. I have heard that your ovaries can be affected even if they are not removed so I'm not surprised some ladies had that happen. No eating or drinking for me after midnight the night before. No daily supplements or other things (except my asthma meds) one month before.

Considering the ugly pain I have had with periods most of my life, I'm not overly worried about recovery but it's nice to hear that it gets better after the first week. My surgery isn't until July 7 so lets see if I get worried when it gets closer.

I can't wait to get this overgrown uterus out!

Thanks to everyone for all their good advice.
Unread 05-03-2006, 08:27 PM

I just read what I wrote in reply and it sounded like I was snooty or something..I just wanted to let you know I wasn't. If only we could talk like we do in person on here..

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register