Pondering Thoughts Before Hysterectomy on 1/18 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pondering Thoughts Before Hysterectomy on 1/18 Pondering Thoughts Before Hysterectomy on 1/18

Unread 01-12-2016, 04:59 PM
Pondering Thoughts Before Hysterectomy on 1/18

I've seen where several have had headaches and sleep loss after their hysterectomy. My dilemma.... I haven't had surgery yet and for the last several months have trouble sleeping. A lot of nights it takes me hours to fall asleep even when I am exhausted. And the last couple of months headaches almost every single day. Wondering if maybe after surgery it will have the opposite affect. One can dream...lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2016, 06:06 PM
Re: Pondering Thoughts Before Hysterectomy on 1/18

Try not to worry about not sleeping - this just keeps you awake!

Your headaches may be caused by worrying about the forthcoming surgery - I think we all get a bit stressed by this.

If you don't sleep well after your surgery, you can nap during the day as you'll be resting at home. I slept like a log, I think the anaesthetic stayed in my system for a while.

Unread 01-13-2016, 06:25 PM
Re: Pondering Thoughts Before Hysterectomy on 1/18

Hi and welcome,

Yes, as you mentioned, some gals do experience headaches and insomnia after surgery... but these conditions usually improve over time - perhaps as our hormones get better regulated.

It's hard to predict "symptoms" after our surgery, so let's remain optimistic. Should you find anything troublesome in general - be it gas pains, headaches, whatever - your doctor can guide you with your options and give advice for relief.

As BethUK mentioned, I agree that stress can really escalate insomnia and migraines - both before and after surgery. So please help yourself by focusing on positive things. I finally calmed down after I stopped worrying about all the "what ifs". I suffer from anxiety disorders and panic attacks so believe me, I know the challenges involved. In the next few days before your surgery, make time to do activities you enjoy - reading, friends, movies, puzzles...divert your mind away from worrying. It's hard but doable! Enjoy small healthy snacks, drink lots of water and walk - all add to good mental and physical health.

Hugs and best of luck of your upcoming surgery.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register