Tips? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Tips?

I'm having my vag hyst next month and was wondering if there's anything the veterans wish they had known prior to surgery. Anything that happened you weren't prepared for after? What's the most important advice you'd tell someone who is having a hysterectomy? Also I know for a vag hyst they usually pack you right after surgery but they don't send you home packed do they? (I worked in surgery but never got to see the patients after they left the O.R.) Thanks!

Outoforder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2006, 11:07 AM
Tips?

The list here on the site of what to take to the castle was VERY helpful. I could not have lived at the castle (I was only there 1 night) without lip balm, lotion and throat drops. My mouth, throat and skin felt super dry! Also, would highly recommend taking antibacterial wipes. My DH wiped down my bed rails and nurse call/tv thing and I was fortunate and did not go home with any bugs that I did not have before. I did have packing but did not know that I had it until nurse commented that she'd be in an hour to remove it. So, yes. It was removed before I left for home. On the packing, it did NOT hurt to be removed. It was a tickly/itchy feeling (because it is dry gauze) and you probably already know this because of what you do, but it was like watching a magician. It kept coming and coming. I had a TVH, kept ovaries and I have sailed through this! You will, too! Blessings to you, sister!!
Unread 06-23-2006, 11:12 AM
Tips?

LOL!! I needed that although your magician comment made me laugh out loud so I look pretty stupid sitting here now haha! Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2006, 11:30 AM
Tips?

I agree with JesusChick. I had to have lipbalm, I took Neosporin Lip Treatment. I also brought VS lotion so I would smell good. I had to stay 2 nights but I really didn't need anything else. I did take my mascara so I didnt look like death warmed over. The magician thing is right on the money. That's exactly how I would describe it. It did not hurt though. I had LAVH/BSO but I was not ever in alot of pain. I took pain meds in the hospital and then for the next 2 days but after that I switch to Tylenol. Pain was not a big deal for me. There were days I was sore and really worn out. Not sleepy tired just worn out. I'm 15 days postop and I seem to be doing okay. I've had a few bad days but mostly all okay days. If you have any further ?s, just PM me or email me. Good Luck! My thoughts and prayers are with you and all others in the Preop stage.
Jeniffer
Unread 06-23-2006, 11:50 AM
Tips?

My friends bought me brand new PJ's I wore them and was SO much more comfortable. I took Lip balm (Blistex lip infusion), lotion, 2 word searches, my cell phone, my own non-slip socks and my mommy and husband LOL>
Unread 06-23-2006, 11:55 AM
Tips?

Oh yeah I did take my own PJs they were new and very cute, little capris with drawstring and tank top. Much more comfortable and alot more fashionable than the gown provided. I did take my cellphone also. I tried to read the local newspaper the nurses brought me, but I just couldn't concentrate enough to read it.
Unread 06-23-2006, 12:06 PM
Tips?

Thanks! I hadn't even thought about what I'd wear or anything. I've been concentrating on what to pack for the kids to entertain them in the waiting room and how much pain I'd be in. I'm so glad I found this site!
Unread 06-23-2006, 12:13 PM
Tips?

Oh you should maybe find someone to watch your kids the day of. My surgery took 1.5 hours and then another hour in recovery. After I was taken to my room I didn't wake up for another 6hrs and then went right back to sleep. Kids probably can not be entertained for that long of a time. Best if they visit next day. Just my experience and opinion
Unread 06-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Tips?

I agree with Jenique4817, you should leave your kids with someone while you are in surgery. They will be so bored! I was in surgery for 1 1/2 hours and then another 2 hours in recovery.

I did not have any packing.

Here's what made my life easier:
Took my own pillow
Took music with earphones to drown out other noises (hospitals are noisy at night and the nurses come into your room at least every two hours)
Took eye shades, which I used whenever I slept (helped with the bright hallway light at night!)
Took lip balm
I had one bad gas pain at 4am (about 13 hours after surgery) and started taking Gas X. From then on, I would take one or two every time I would get pain killers.
I took a stool softener before going to sleep for the night, and then another in the morning.
I drank TONS of water (easily five or six pitchers) while I was at the castle and have continued since I've been home.
I walked the moment I got to my room from recovery (to the bathroom), twice again that evening and then twice more in the morning.

I packed reading materials but didn’t read anything other than the menu. I didn't bring my own jammies. I decided not to add to the laundry at home. I also wore their mesh granny panties. The nurses come and check your pad for drainage, so keep that in mind. I took my own pads, but they had good ones at the castle I went to. I also should have skipped taking all toiletries. I did brush my teeth, but since I was at the castle less than 24 hours total, it could have waited until I got home.

My experience has been a piece of cake so far. It’s only my fourth day post op, so it will be interesting to see how everything progresses. I’m so glad it’s over.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or worries you may have.
Unread 06-23-2006, 03:00 PM
Tips?

Thanks! I have to take the kids though. No one to watch them so my husband & mother will watch them in the waiting room and then as soon as the doctor says it's all over and I'm still living my mom will take them home and keep them until I come home which should be the next day going by what my doctor says. Thanks for all the help I really appreciate all of it and feel lots better hearing you guys' experiences.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register