Embarassing question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Embarassing question Embarassing question

Unread 02-11-2006, 01:00 PM
Embarassing question

I had my hysterectomy (vaginally) done 1/31. I feel great, but am avoiding seeing anyone as I am worried this horrible odor still slowing coming out of me will be noticed by others.
It's not much, and the color is kind of brown, but it smells horrible.
Please tell me when this will go away, or is it something I need to call my doctor about?
This is by far the worst complaint I have. I'm getting a complex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Embarassing question

You should not have a horrible odor coming from your vagina. Do you smell it even after you shower? or is it there all the time? If anything you should/might have a medicinally odor from sutures, but a horrible odor would cause me concern as you could have some sort of vaginal infectoin. I would call the Dr. to be on the safe side. I just know I never had an odor except that medicinal suture type odor, but I could only smell that faintly when I would go to the bathroom. Take care! ((HUGS))
Unread 02-11-2006, 02:31 PM
Embarassing question

No, this is a nasty odor that returns 20 minutes after I soak in a tub. I am still having to wear a pad, and I change it constantly, more due to the smell, than that it's dirty. Guess I will call him Monday first thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Embarassing question

I had this too, and can't remember when it started to go away. I thought anyone around me could smell it too and when ever we would have company around I had to spray perfume on my outer clothes down in that direction....lol. It does get better and when the discharge starts to get lighter seems to be when I remember the smell started to go away. Just hang in there and remember to spray some kind of body spray on your clothes in that general direction when you don;t want to smell it.
Unread 02-11-2006, 02:43 PM
Embarassing question

Wow...makes me feel better that I'm not the only one. lol Thanks!
Unread 02-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Embarassing question

Hi
I had this for 2 mths after my op- and was told it was normal as long as i didnt have any other symptms like Faintness,headaches. It does evetually go by gradually getting lighter.
Hope this helps.
Good luck in your recovery.
sunshine1971 x
Unread 02-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Embarassing question

You're not the only one...I'm having that issue too. I'm still bleeding and it seems that although that hasn't changed much, the smell is getting stronger. I feel a little more inner twinging pain today too than I have. I'm just hanging in there till Monday, barring any more serious complications arrising. I'll call Doc Mon morning and tell him that I'm a lot more concerned now that I have odor and pain. The bleeding alone had me down, but now I'm really troubled by this. You're right, it's awful and makes you very self conscious. I can't believe how offensive it is.

I've decided on a 48 hour bed rest with limited activity. Hell, I got in my four days of walking a mile each day. I think I can be a couch potato for a bit. Besides, I'm in hiding till I know what this is!

So if you get any closer to an answer, please send some hope out to the rest of us.
Unread 02-11-2006, 03:47 PM
Embarassing question

I just found this...read about Post Proceedure care. It does mention an odor.

http://www.wramc.amedd.army.mil/educ...sterectomy.htm
Unread 02-11-2006, 05:29 PM
Me Too

I just want to know where it comes from. And keeps coming from.
In the hospital I noticed the odor and told the nurse. She said the look and odor of old menstrual blood is normal. If it is anything else, be sure and ask.
I have a steady but light discharge, yellowish rosy in color and it does have an unpleasant odor. I don't have to worry right now because I am not going out or trying to impress my husband I am tired of it already.
Having it checked out is a good idea.
The Next 50 Years
Unread 02-12-2006, 05:38 AM
Embarassing question

Thanks Spyrogram,
That article does give some insight, but I didn't have a vaginal hysterectomy so I don't see the relation for my specific problem. Glad to see you've gotten some answers for yourself though.

And as for the problem being old menstrual blood, I can't believe that would be it either as I am an empty cavity now. LOL. My last period was a whopping 8 months and dr. commented on how clean I looked after surgery...aside from the blood that's leaking from my cuff. I swear I'm going to tell him to re-stitch me and put an end to this already.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register