help need advice | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

help need advice help need advice

Unread 03-24-2006, 04:23 AM
help need advice

recently had laparoscopy/hysteroscopy and d&c. doc said afterwards that i had an enlarged uterus 10cm extensive pelvic congestion and left ovary is adhered to pelvic wall. got an appointment with consultant in 2 weeks to discuss my options which are endometrial abalition 6 months of injections to induce menapause or complete hysterectomy including ovarys and then hrt im 46. i do not know what to do ?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2006, 06:07 AM
help need advice

Hi Jenren

The first thing I would take into consideration is: are you done having children? If so, then the hysterectomy is an option. Secondly: would you rather have to do 2 things meaning : the ablation (which was one of my options and I didn't want it, heard it was nasty to go through),and the injections (which a lot of ladies on here said there is a lot of side effects with) OR just go through one surgery and have it all taken care of? The thing that also concerned me was that the ablation was not a guarantee to "solve" all my problems. I may need the hysterectomy anyway if it didn't work and/or "wore off" after a few years (which I also heard of). Only YOU can decide what's right for you but to me it seems easier and more promising for permanent results to have the hysterectomy. I would also take into consideration on how you and your body handled the D & C. That procedure is less invasive than an ablation. If you didn't sail through the D & C, then I'd say it's safe to say the ablation wouldn't be a picnic either. I hope this was helpful in some way and good luck on your decision!!
Unread 03-24-2006, 07:02 AM
help need advice

Hi Jen, I just had a laparoscopy, d&c, and removal of a polyp and ovarian cyst. When they went in they saw that I had extensive adhesions and "everything was stuck where it shouldn't be stuck". My left ovary was adhered to my colon, etc. And it took them an hour to get to my left ovary because there were so many adhesions around it. I'm 41 with no children, and she (my doctor) flat out told me that I can't have children with the way my condition is. She said that I could have a hysterectomy or wait a while until the pain gets severe enough where I'm on narcotics. I opted to have a hysterectomy now - my surgery date is April 4th. I'm second-guessing myself at times because I'm not doing this because of a medical emergency. But seeing I can't have children, and my periods are just horrific - which affects my sex life - and I'm afraid that things are going to get worse down there - more scarring and adhesions. It's a tough decision though. I almost wish the doctor said that I have to have it done. That would have made it easier. I chose the hysterectomy because I think it might enhance my quality of life. My biggest concern is HRT, but I've been told that that's something that really isn't that bad. Good luck on your choice...

SLeigh123
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2006, 07:18 AM
help need advice

I had the pelvic congestion too, I am wondering if the ablation will have any benefit to that. I had a good friend go through the ablation without a hitch, felt fine in a week. But, I feel the same as another stated..think how your body heals. I would never tell you to have a hyst. but if that is the most likely final outcome you would not be out of line to just want to get it over with. I think asking your dr. if you are just buying time or if they believe that these things could actually solve the issues, would be a good.

Betts
Unread 03-24-2006, 09:57 AM
help need advice

I was given options when we first discovered my enlarged uterus, and fbiroids. I choose to wait, using NSAIDs to help control bleeding/pain for six months (least invasive choice) went for second Vag. U/S, and found MORE fibroids and thickening endometrial lining, the bleeding was worse, and the pain more pronounced- I am on narcotics now.

I didn't want Lupron-side effects. B/C didn't help me- break through bleeding. I asked what is going to work 100% guarantee to end this?

My dr. said Hysterectomy is the only thing that will guarantee an end to your symptoms, everything else was a maybe, or short term fix. I only want to do this once.

If you are unsure, get a second opinion, talk frankly with your doctor about what your needs/wants/desires are. What you want as an outcome, that is just my opinion.

I hope you are able to find some answers that satisfy you. This site has a lot of information, with a lot of women, some of whom have been where you are at this very moment, take advantage of their knowledge, and their wisdom.

Hugs T
Unread 03-24-2006, 11:21 AM
help need advice

You certainly have alot of thinking to do in the next few weeks. My diagnosis is different from yours so I don't know if my story will help but here goes: Diagnosed by lap in 2001 with endometriosis, round of Lupron after surgery (6 mos) and birth control after Lupron. Felt okay for about a year. Back on Lupron for a year, then BC again and then continuos BC. Pain back so tried Mirena IUD for 7 months and pain the entire time plus the pain from the IUD. Not all women have pain with the IUD....guess I just fall in the category of women that don't tolerate it well. Saw doc and discussed options: Nothing, Lupron for 6 mos. then Depo-Provera and the BC pills or hysterectomy. I chose hysterectomy as I've already tried so many things and the end result will be a hysterectomy. I'd rather do it now than after more years of futile treatments.
It really is something you need to discuss with your significant other (if you have one) and your doctors. So many factors to take into consideration. Are you done having children? I never had any but made my peace with that awhile ago.
I wish you luck on your journey to making the right choice for YOU. You have found a wonderful site for info and support. Maybe you might check out the Hysterectomy Options forum as well.
Best of everything to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register