5 days and waiting for the benefits | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 days and waiting for the benefits 5 days and waiting for the benefits

Unread 06-07-2006, 11:41 PM
5 days and waiting for the benefits

Friday:
Pre-op went well, don't even remember being wheeled into the op. room. Which makes me wonder, did I get a chance to kiss my DH bu-bye??? He says yes, so I have to beleive that. I remember in the recovery room telling the nurse I had alot of pressure, and she said it was the packing the dr. used after surgery. Morphine, didn't touch my pain!!! 2-3 doses of that and I was still whining for my mom. They finally gave me Dilaudid (she's my new best friend) on a pump every 6 minutes. And every 6 minutes I was waiting for another visit from her. First night was nauseous from everything, but my DH was sleeping right by my side at the castle so he took great care of me.

Saturday:
Food is nasty!!!Don't remember most of the day thanks to Dilaudid I do remember the nurse removing my cath said she couldn't find the packing the dr. put in The dr. said he didn't put any in...humm makes you wonder. The nurse Saturday night was mean to me. I was very nauseous as they were trying to get me off the Diladid and on to Percicit (spelling???) I got sick right after my DH went home all over my bed, my hospital gown, sheets everything!!! I called the nurse and she said I was going to have to wait. CAN YOU BELEIVE??? Then when she came into my room she made me strip out of the gown, didn't even get me a wash rag for my face, and yelled at me for getting the bed dirty. HUH??? WHAT IS MY INSURANCE PAYING YOU FOR??? Oh, but it gets better!!! I get no warm blankets, just cold ones, and a shot in the butt. Needless to say I'm filing a complaint with the hospital all because of this one nurse.

Sunday:
6 a.m. DH gets phonecall from emotional princess wanting just a little support. DH promptly drives to castle on his noble steed and breaks princess out (Only after dr. has approved discharge)

Monday:
Recovered from Saturday night and Sunday. I really overdid it.

Tuesday:
DD flew in from SLC to help care for ailing princess. DH first day back to "real world". Princess has first emotional break down since this whole ordeal begins and has 1st official fight with DH (we've been married less than a year, and we have never had a fight) Basiclly princess is in pain, tired, emotional, constipated, I don't know what I want and DH went over the line when he told me to "Go sit down and Be Good". THIS IS WHAT HE SAYS TO THE CHICKLINS, NOT HIS WIFE. Princess and DH made up and sleep in the same bed.

Wednesday:
Princess recovers on the couch all day watching movies with DD, sleeps, drinks water, water, water, and is still constipated.

PRINCESS IS WONDERING WHEN ALL OF THESE AMAZING BENEFITS OF HAVING THIS DONE ARE GOING TO MAGICLLY APPEAR???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2006, 12:20 AM

Oh DeeDee it will get better. Did your dr. suggest senokot or something similiar. It has been a godsend for me. however, going to do the doody has been extremely painful.

That nurse should be beaten with vomit covered sheets and fired. As a person going into the medical profession I will never understand how these people can be mean. I would have sent you 1 or 2 of my nurses if I knew
Unread 06-08-2006, 05:35 AM

you need a ! So sorry you were the lucky one to have the "nurse of the year" tend to you.
As for the constipation, here are a few suggestions. First try the stool softener as suggested above. If need be you can try pericolace which is stool softener with a laxative. I ate a lot of prunes, (I also love prunes so that wasn't an issue), drank the water and one of the nurses told me to drink warm apple juice. Also if there is a food/drink that you know tends to make you go, try to eat that. My good old standby is maple syrup! Also increase the amount of fiber rich foods. HOpe some of these help you out. Remember too that the narcotic pain relievers will slow things down, so it could be a side effect of you pain meds.
Also be prepared for it to be a tad bit uncomfortable to go. I had LSH, but had extensive adhesions, and when things moved past a certain point in my bowel it was rather tender. Even gas moving through brought the same feeling. Not trying to alarm you, just want you to be prepared. Hope relief comes soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2006, 05:51 AM

Prune juice, bran and applesauce: Gods way of making us poop
Unread 06-08-2006, 07:00 AM

hi deedeerz
Welcome to post op! I'm sorry for your ordeal in the castle. It's just hard to believe some people and their lack of sensitivity in a situation. You're very, very early post op so don't get too discouraged. The big issue is to get your bowels moving and to control the gas. I think a stool softener is a must in the beginning and something to help control the gas, like GasX. Keep lots of fiber in your diet and if you can't get things going on your own pretty quickly call your dr, don't wait and let things build. It took me until day 5 to have my first bm and then I had to use Milk of Magnesia. That was basically diarrhea but I didn't care since I didn't have to strain with it. After that I was able to keep things pretty normal.
If you continue to struggle with pain be sure to let your dr know. Its possible what you're taking isn't the best for you. You should be able to control it pretty well by limiting your activity and taking your medication.
Its so great you have your dd and your dh looking out for you. Remember sometimes princesses don't know what is best for them and need to be told to sit down and be good. That one made me smile. Rest and let yourself heal. I hope you start feeling better soon.
's,Rita
Unread 06-08-2006, 07:41 AM

5days is really early! Hang in there!
you'll be all over the map emotionally for awhile-warn DH then he won't get so upset with you.

after a couple weeks, you'll start to notice the diffrence already! especially when it's time for Aunt Flo LOL

BTW-you don't have to explain the big cheesy grin on your face when you walk down the "ladies" isle at the store! just grin and wave at the shelf and keep going!
Unread 06-08-2006, 07:36 PM

Oh Happy Days!!!!! Got the bowels going. Never thought I'd be so happy to be posting that!!!!

Got smart today and had a noble idea--- Need some "me" time so sent the kids on a walk to get Princess some Jamba Juice. ETA-30 minutes.

Note to self: Patience, must learn this.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register