Still questioning things....HELP! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Still questioning things....HELP! Still questioning things....HELP!

Unread 01-12-2010, 07:41 AM
Still questioning things....HELP!

MY TLH is scheduled for TOMORROW! I'm still wondering if I'm doing the right thing. I read all of you wonderful women's posts and think "wow, my symptoms aren't anything like theirs, what the hell am I doing??" Do I found these questions on this site and am answering them now...

Explore these questions:

Have I tried all the alternative treatments? I've EXPLORED all options, not tried them. Seems everything I read, so many women end up with a hysterectomy in the end anyway.
Are my symptoms so unbearable as to make my life a misery? Ummm....Not really...yes I have heavy bleeding about one week out of the month from fibroids which is causing anemia but can I live with it? Probably!
Will the operation relieve all my symptoms? Actually yes I think it will, just getting energy back will help a ton, plus my mood swings and irritability could have alot to do with anemia.
Will there be any unexpected consequences - am I prepared for an earlier menopause? Yes I'm prepared for an earlier menopause but I'm keeping my ovaries so I don't see that as a big problem.
Do I still want to have children? Absolutely NOT...I'm almost 46 years old! I'm ready for grandchildren!
What will happen if I decide not to have a hysterectomy?My friends will have to continue listening to me ***** about being tired all the time and worrying about bleeding through clothes!

OK, so there's my answers...anyone want to analyze them and tell me what to do??

My DH is so wonderful, he keeps reassuring me I'm doing the right thing because the fibroids aren't going away and he knows how fatigued I am all the time. Just wish I could feel I'm doing the right thing....so worried that my surgery might not go well, then what? I definitely made the wrong decision! UGHH!!

Sorry this is so long...thanks for taking the time to read and help me out!
Love to you all!
Penny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Re: Still questioning things....HELP!

Hi,
My hysterectomy was on Nov. 16. I was just curious, have you gotten a second opinion? If you have, two doctors in agreement should bear some weight on your decision. Also, keeping your ovaries should be a positive. Mine were both removed so I know if you can keep them that is good. Also you have the advantage of going into your surgery prepared for the hysterectomy, knowing what your surgeon wants to do, so you can make a good solid decision. Mine was more of something that had to be done once the surgeon got in there. I had gone to have one ovary and cyst removed on a day surgery, but because of endometriosis I woke up with a partial hysterectomy. I had consented to it before hand but didn't give it as much thought as I should have.

It sounds as though you have been weighing things, pro and con. If you trust your surgeon or 2nd opinion doctor, it sounds as if you can really make an educated decision.

My mother had a hysterectomy done years ago and had fibroids and was very relieved after her surgery.

I hope all this helps in some way.
Good luck!
Unread 01-12-2010, 10:05 AM

HI Penny,
Seems to me you have asked and anwsered your questions. The decision to have this done can only be made by you. I am 38 and it took over a year to finally come to the decision to have my TVH(keeping ovaries). I was nervous about having it all the way until I fell alseep in the operating room. I was thinking that I was a wimp for complaining about AF. I had always very heavy and very long cycles. My anemia was horrible and only getting worse. I had every test, scan and medication I know of and the doctors could not find why I had so many problems nor was anything working to slow it down. I finally saw how it was affecting my quailty of life. It was affected my DH, my kids and all those around me. I lead a busy lifestyle with kids and hobbies, and something had to give. I found so much helpful information at this site, it helped me so much. I finally had my TVH on Dec 21. 2009. Now I just wonder why I waited so long. I feel so much better already. My recovery has been wonderful. It was hard for me to be waited on, not use to that but it was very nice. Back at work in two weeks. I have a office job, that is the only reason. Not having to plan my day or week around if I am going to start, do I have everything I need in case of an accident, will I be able change as often as I have to, not having to take pain meds every 4 -6 hours for weeks, ect is so wonderful. I hope this has been of some help to you. Good luck in your journey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2010, 10:14 AM

I have felt the same way as you. I am having a lsh on friday also due to a fibroid. That's right, I only have one. I also have a thickened endometrial strip. But my periods have doubled in length over the last year and my cramps are horrible. I don't have bleeding in between my periods...so this is something I COULD live with. I keep reminding myself...that I don't HAVE to live with this. It was my choice to have the hyst instead of other treatments, my reasoning was the same as yours...why go though many treatments only to have to have a hyst anyways.
Unread 01-12-2010, 10:15 AM

Hi Penny,

I actually breathed a sigh of relief when I read your post. My TAH is tomorrow and I will be losing my ovaries. I have gone around and around asking myself if I'm doing the right thing, am I being overly zealous, is it really that bad, will I regret it? But honestly we know the answer is to have it done. We have suffered long enough. Will it be tough? Yes. Will recovery be a bit unpleasant? Probably. But the outcome will far outweigh the cost. Just remember to focus on healing and let your DH pamper you a bit. You deserve it!

Best wishes and big hugs and thanks for putting it into perspective for me.
Unread 01-12-2010, 10:16 AM

Hey, I just saw that you were from Madison! I'm from here too! What hospital are you having your surgery at?
Unread 01-12-2010, 10:56 AM

Hi MsS,
I don't actually live in Madison, but a small town SW of there. It was just easier to put Madison I guess (who knows what my rationale was! haha!)

I'm having my surgery done locally in <>, I trust the doctors and staff there even though its gotten a bad rap occasionally over the years. All hospitals have that at one time or another though. Where are you having surgery? Good luck with yours...we'll have to try and keep in touch and "compare notes" in our healing process!
Take care!
Penny
Unread 01-12-2010, 11:14 AM

I did have a second opinion...and third opinion! The first two opinions were 2 1/2 years ago when I was having back pain I thought was caused from fibroids. Neither doctor was convinced that was the cause of my back pain but both agreed a hysterectomy was in order. I chickened out at that time and the fibroids have only gotten worse. Again not horrible though, no pain, just heavy bleeding. I guess three opinions is enough to go forward huh?? If it weren't needed, ONE of them would have insisted I try other options right? They of course told me the alternatives but bottom line is all agree it is ultimately my decision.
Thanks ladies!
Unread 01-12-2010, 11:16 AM

Hi, Penny and MsS: I also live in Madison. Went to Meriter.

I had all the same feelings right up to the date of surgery. I was told I had 2 moderate size fibroids causing all the same troubles, plus constant back pain. Once they got in there, it was discovered that my uterus was over 50% full of fibroids of different sizes. That made me feel better about my decision. It was likely the symptoms were just going to continue to get worse. I had a TLH, got to keep ovaries, and recovery has been going well over all. Its a hard decision. It took me a year to commit. 3 doctors told me it was what needed to be done. That said, you need to feel like doing this is going to improve your quality of life. It sounds like you have thought it through. I think there is always a little bit of doubt in any elective procedure.

Keep asking questions and telling your doctor and your loved ones your concerns. They will help make you feel better whatever you decide.

Good Luck!

PS. One of my best friends in a surgeon in <>. It sounds like the bad rap comes from everyone thinking Madison is the end all because of the University.
Unread 01-12-2010, 11:35 AM

I actually live east of Madison, but am having surgery at < >. I had to see 2 docs before I was comfortable letting anyone touch me..lol. First doc scared me right out of her office, second one (my surgeon) was recommended by a friend. He is WONDERFUL! I was a nervous wreck last week before my preop, and after talking with him, I was completely calm. Now the nerves are coming back again! I keep thinking that "by this time next week, this will all be over with and I will be on my road to recovery". Sometimes it helps sometimes it doesn't. I have my surgery friday and will be home saturday, so I will stop on here (post op section) and see how you are doing. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register