questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-10-2003, 12:45 AM
questions

I read some of the posts re gas post-op.How can one avoid it best?Anybody who had something that worked please help.Scheduled for SAH 5/19 due to large fibroid and pain.
Thank you
Salvia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2003, 01:11 AM
questions

There was a lot of talk about gas pain on this board when I was pre-op. A lot of the ladies recommended Gas-X. I stocked up on it before my surgery and got the OK to use it from my dr before I was discharged. Thankfully, I never had the dreaded gas pain after my surgery but did have the need recently and it worked well. I was told that walking is a good way to help avoid this problem.

I do suggest that you talk to your dr about any over-the-counter meds and get his OK.

Unread 05-10-2003, 02:38 AM
questions

frequent walks, drinking something warm like hot cocoa and gas-x are what worked for me. I'm sure not eating foods containing beans and other gas producers are good too.
Oh and drink lots of water. I put benefiber in my water twice a day. I don't know if that did anything for me, but I thought it couldn't hurt.

I had a couple of bouts with gas, but all-in-all I think I did good. I didn't have any constipation problems so that was a bonus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2003, 04:45 AM
questions

Try to avoid using a straw once you can manage drinking without one. Avoid carbonated beverages and ice chips (which you may need at first, just don't gulp down large quantities, there are air pockets between those chips). If carbonated beverages are your favorite, let it get flat first. Walking the day after surgery, working up to 3-4 walks a day while in the castle, more if gas pains strike you. Lay on your left side, helps facilitate it moving on out. Hot water bottle/heating pad if ok'd by your doctor. Pain pills and morphine slow the gut down...if you can, reduce what you take, but that isn't always possible. Stool softeners can help. If you are miserable ask for a dulcolax suppository, if no bm results it at least stimulates the colon. Gas X or phazyme hleps. The ingredient in these is mylicon that breaks up the gas allowing it to pass easier...Mylanta has this in it and sometimes the doctors order straight mylicon, which is simethicone by generic name. Walk walk walk walk.
Unread 05-10-2003, 08:30 AM
questions

Gas can be sooo unpleasant. What worked for me: Gas-X, Chamomile tea, Lots of fruit, avoid "gassy" foods and my favorite item a RICE SOCK. This was given to me in the hospital by a nurse that had TAH- and it was very helpful. Fill a tube sock with long grain rice, tie off the end in a note and heat in Microwave approx 1-2 mins. Place rice sock upper abdomen. The heat supposedly helps move the gas along. I would move the rice along in the sock Do not put the rice sock over the incision! The warmth of the rice sock was very comforting and soothing.
Teri
TAH/RSO 4/8/03
Unread 05-10-2003, 08:36 AM
questions

I had problems with gas and with bowel movements,I just couldn't either and the things that helped me were the gas x chewables with malox in them,the malox help with stomach acids.And a rocking chair,those first few days I didn't feel like walking much,I was just toooo tired,The rocking chair uses gravity where your sitiing up to move things downward and the rocking motion gently rocks things down ward.It really helped me.
Good luck I hope all goes well for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register