Going back to work at 6 weeks...before the post-op checkup? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going back to work at 6 weeks...before the post-op checkup? Going back to work at 6 weeks...before the post-op checkup?

Unread 06-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Going back to work at 6 weeks...before the post-op checkup?

My short term disability company called today and said they approved me for 6 weeks. That would put me back at work the day of my 6-week post-op checkup. Should I call and try to reschedule the checkup for before my first day back (in case the doctor wants to extend it?) Or should I go to work that morning and take off the afternoon for the checkup?

I'm a computer programmer with a desk job, and my recovery is going swimmingly. At 2.5 weeks post-op (now) I get tired if I sit too long, but otherwise I feel fine. Would there be any reason she would extend my STD to 8 weeks, or is that just wishful thinking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2005, 06:05 PM

My dr scheduled the 6 wk postop appt for exactly 6 wks after the operation. I had put in my time off papers that I expected to be back to work 6/13/05. When I saw the 6 wk appt was set for my 3rd day back at work I tried to reschedule it for the week before the appt. The dr didnt budge - said had to be exactly 6 wks after. My job wouldnt allow me to come back without a doctors release, so I ended up returning to work 6/20/05.

Your doctor may reschedule for you, its worth a try. However, if you work for a large company, their policy will probably be you have to have the doctors release to return to work. Good luck!
Unread 06-21-2005, 06:09 PM

Hi Kyrie;

I went for my post op yesterday with a return date scheduled for today. I was also worried that if something should go wrong I'd be in a bind.

I believe that you cannot return to work without a release from your doctor. My doctor released me but suggested I only work 4 hours per day for the first week but could do more should I feel up to it. It was my day back and with meetings and everyting I ended up being their a full day. I'm exhausted

Why don't you call the doctor and try to schedule the day before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2005, 06:11 PM

Hi,
It is totally wise to be, "released" to return to work. If you go back willingly and have a problem there can be difficulties with your employer, and your doctor. Do whatever it takes...stick to your guns if you had 6 weeks pre- approved take everyday and then get a release.

I did not pass my 6 week check up. My recovery was extended 2 1/2 more weeks because my vaginal cuff was not healed. I'm not employed, but if I would have had a physical job to return to, I'm sure I would not have gone back to work. It will be up to your health and your doctor. Don't let anyone push you back to work even one day too soon.

Best of luck...glad everything is going well for you now.
Maralyn
Unread 06-21-2005, 07:13 PM

Most companies won't let you come back if you don't have a Dr's release. You might want to double check.
Kat

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register