dVH/RALH Vaginal cuff dehiscence and hematoma post hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal cuff dehiscence and hematoma post hysterectomy Vaginal cuff dehiscence and hematoma post hysterectomy

Unread 07-03-2015, 07:23 AM
Vaginal cuff dehiscence and hematoma post hysterectomy

Hello everyone,
My name is Heather I had dVH on April, 28 th,2015. And I am still recovering. I am 38 years old and have had a bad experience with this surgery. 4 days after the surgery I was in excruciating pain. I called Dr and was seen. I was told I had a tear on the vaginal cuff and was also sent to the ER. They did a CAT Scan and told me I had 4 hematomas. Went back to Dr about two weeks later and was told the tear was still open to take it easy. On June 17th went for another checkup and was told the year was still open but to return to work. I am a CNA which requires a lot of lifting. I took it easy and on he 3rd day I had pain so bad that I almost pasted out. Called the Dr office and was told he was on vacation so I would be seen by another Dr. While there she asked why I didn't have surgery to repair the vaginal cuff dehiscence and that I also have a fist size hematoma that my bladder pushes on. Was told no work for 4 to 6 months. The pain meds they gave are not helping and don't know if I should go for a second opinion???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2015, 09:09 AM
Re: Vaginal cuff dehiscence and hematoma post hysterectomy

Heather and

I'm very glad you've joined us! I am so very sorry you've experienced a large hematoma and dehiscence after your hysterectomy. A tear in the vaginal cuff is a very serious complication of this surgery. In some instances, another surgery will be performed to close the cuff and in some cases the doctor will choose to "watch and see" and allow the cuff to close and heal on its own. There are different factors that play into this decision: the severity of the tear, the general health of the patient, and doctor's preference are a few.

In answer to your question: Yes, I would get a second opinion. Sometimes a second opinion can open us up to options were are unaware of, and it can also reassure us that we are on the right path. Personally, I would consider either staying off work until the cuff has healed, or perhaps return part time on light duty (excluding all lifting). Lifting puts strain on the pelvic floor, and your pelvic floor muscles and the tissues in your pelvis need to heal and rest. Are you able to modify your work duties to exclude lifting?

Here are some articles that may help:

Vaginal Cuff Tear

Vaginal Cuff Tear - Now What?

Hematoma Risk After Hysterectomy

I am Please take extra care of yourself and try not to do anything strenuous as you heal. And please update us on how you're doing!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register