Hysterectomy on March 8 ..2DAYS!!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy on March 8 ..2DAYS!!!!! Hysterectomy on March 8 ..2DAYS!!!!!

Unread 03-06-2016, 10:33 AM
Hysterectomy on March 8 ..2DAYS!!!!!

Scared, never had a general anesthetic. Scared they might find something terrible. Scared I won't wake up again! Arg!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2016, 03:56 PM
Re: Surgery March 8 ..2DAYS!!!!!

All of your fears are very normal! I had never had "major" surgery and was worried about anesthesia too. Be sure to tell them when you get into the pre-op room that you are nervous and they can give you something to help you relax. My own experience was very easy. They did give me something to help take the edge off, I said bye to my husband and they wheeled me quickly into the OR. I remember commenting on how many people were in the room with me (I think I said something like "is it a party for me?") and then next thing I remember is waking up in recovery. It sounds scary but it goes by so fast. Just be very honest and vocal with your doctor and nurses about how you are feeling. They want to keep you comfortable and calm and will do what they can to ensure that.
Good luck and we're here to support you over these weeks of prep and recovery.
Unread 03-06-2016, 03:59 PM

Hello,

This was my first surgery and first time under anesthesia also. Know that your surgical team will be there with you the whole time and will be monitoring you while you are under anesthesia. They do this as their job everyday and are prepared to deal with many different situations should they have to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2016, 05:13 PM

Hi kat2uluv,

I was pretty scared myself at the thought of having general anesthesia as I'd never had major surgery before. My surgery was last Monday.

I had no memory between my lying on the operating table and returning to my hospital room. Another forum member informed me that one is given Versed prior to the anesthesia which is a medication to basically relax the patient as well as to block the memory of surgery. I can assure you it worked very well.

Your fears are normal so don't worry. You will definitely wake up.

Good luck and speedy recovery to you!
Unread 03-06-2016, 08:40 PM

I'm having my hysterectomy the 8th as well and I am truly terrified. Everyone keeps telling me it will be fine, but it doesn't help. I Had my first lap a month ago and that was the first time I had been under. it was scary then and its still scary now. I think it is a reasonable fear because you have no control, I'll be so glad when its over. Good luck I hope everything goes well for you. See you on the other side.
Unread 03-06-2016, 09:33 PM

Acissej, my doctor prescribed Ativan, an anti-anxiety medication, prior to my surgery. I was advised if I felt anxious to take it the entire weekend and on the morning (Monday) of my surgery. Maybe that would help.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register