Scar tissue problems? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scar tissue problems? Scar tissue problems?

Unread 10-30-2006, 09:50 AM
Scar tissue problems?

I'm four months post-op from a TAH, with cervix removal and mesh and screws to replace my pelvic floor. I still have swelling above my incision, but only on the right side. It is a large lump that swells after effort and at end of day, and it is tender and burns like a pulled muscle. It can be 5 inches across and 2 inches high. A CT scan found no hernia, and the surgeon says it is just scar tissue. But I don't understand why I would form scar tissue like this on only one side. The surgeon said they would have to wait at least six months post-op before they could use steroid injections to help break up the scar, but I would have to understand it might be permanent. I'm very angry this was not mentioned before my surgery, and wonder why they can't try to remove it surgically. Anyone with a similar situation? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2006, 10:39 AM
Scar tissue problems?

I don't blame you for being frustrated. But having surgery there is always the chance for abnormal scarring. Everyone heals differently. You can't tell who will or won't.

Scars are hard and rubbery. You said your lump changes. Scars don't change. Does yours change by the end of the day?
My PS said swelling on one side may be from sleeping on that side. Swelling goes to the lowest place along asn injured area. The scar holds swelling and is normal and goes away slowly.
I would be leery of steriod injections.
I'm wondering if you are not satisfied with your surgeon's solutions if you could see a plastic surgeon for an opinion. ?? They are expert w/ scars.
I don't know why you couldn't have a scar revision.

I had plastic surgery (a TT w/my hyster). I learned a lot about scar healing from him. I was instructed to massage mine for 3 months to help keep the scar from thickening. I have a loooong scar and have a section that is a little thicker (about 3"). If it bothers me I will return for a revision.

Hope that helps.
Unread 10-30-2006, 10:55 AM
Scar tissue problems?

i have what 'may' be scar tissue or adhesions right by my incision, and it hurts when pushed. I was told that they generally don't do anything about this because it could just result in more scar tissue. I didn't know about this sort of thing before the surgery either. I just didn't know there were t roubles with incisions! Ah, well. Live and learn? Grrrrr.

Joanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2006, 11:13 AM
Scar tissue problems?

The lump changes, but not from lying down. It's not hard or rubbery at all. I feel scar tissue right beneath my incision, and that feels hard and rubbery. This is swollen and tender, definitely swells with exertion. My urogynecologist who did my hysterectomy thought that maybe the muscle has "given out" but the surgeon he referred me to said scar tissue. I think I will make an appointment with plastic surgery. I think it's so unfair that after two pregnancies, one c-section and six other pelvic surgeries because of damage from my vaginal delivery - and keeping a flat tummy - that now with this seventh and supposedly last surgery they take something out but leave me with an ugly bulging stomach. Thank you both for your support.
Unread 10-30-2006, 12:12 PM
Scar tissue problems?

Wow, you had so many surgeries. You deserve a flat tummy!
Best of luck. Let us know how you do.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register