The ups and downs of healing | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The ups and downs of healing The ups and downs of healing

Unread 10-06-2009, 02:38 PM
The ups and downs of healing

I am four weeks/almost five post tvh. Not a drop of blood since my third day post op, no complications whatsover.
My husband and I went to the mall today and I found that after a half hour of walking around my back and legs were aching and I was worn out. I looked at my husband and said, "am I ever going to have my body back??" The back and leg achiness gets old.
Some days I have more energy than others, but I tire quickly and it amazes me everytime it happens.
Not trying to whine or complain..it just amazes me that our bodies are utilizing so much of our energy just to heal.
Anyone else feeling this way? I know they say it can take six months to a year to heal.........is that true?? Am I going to continue to tire so easily six months from now???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Re: The ups and downs of healing

I know exactly what you mean. I'm 4 weeks exactly post-op and felt great this morning. Then had to walk up a hill when I didn't want to and my back has been hurting ever since. Or the mornings I wake up great, then have to step over the dog cause he won't move, or scoot him out of the way, or bend down to pick up something the kids won't, and my back starts hurting. Or the belly feels bloated.

Will be nice when I start the day out great, and end it great too.
Unread 10-06-2009, 05:38 PM

It really doesn take time to heal. I wouldnt worry if you felt worn out and tired. If you have been resting the past few weeks and are getting out and about, its no wonder you were done. Dont worry it does get better as time passes. The fatigue improves with time. I still have days that are not the best, but overall its leaps and bounds from where I started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2009, 05:43 PM

For me there was an amazing transformation around week 6. It seems to be a magical time, that 6th week as I've heard this from others too. I am 7 1/2 weeks now and I feel almost 100%. There is still some incisional soreness but the exhaustion is gone.

Hang in there. This is the time for you when it's the hardest because you feel better but, at the same time, you really don't.

Best wishes!
Unread 10-06-2009, 06:07 PM

It was the end of my 5th month when I really started to feel pretty normal. It can take that long. It is amazing that we can heal all the way from the surgery but it does take a long time. Hang in there. It does get better each week.
Unread 10-06-2009, 06:15 PM

I too am having good moments followed by fatigue or aches. I try to remind myself that this is the final stretch. I felt awful for years and bled almost non stop for the last 3 years. The home stretch is always the hardest.
Unread 10-06-2009, 06:29 PM

I'm glad you posted this...I went with my hubby for a walk to pick up my kids and then grocery shopping this evening. I am two weeks post op and feeling really good, no real pain to complain about when I'm sedentary. But after all the walking my back was hurting where it always did before surgery. I was really disappointed because I was praying that would go with the surgery. Will the back pain go away in time? Is that because I am still healing? God I hope so
Unread 10-06-2009, 06:38 PM

I have had a history of back problems. Which is helped by physical therapy. Mine has been good for about 18 months...but post -op I had some REALLy bad days. Any other TVH ladies find this to be the case? I think the folding us like a pretzel might make it touchy.
Unread 10-06-2009, 08:20 PM

I've been feeling about the same as you, good when laying down but then when I get up, I get so tired all of a sudden. Last night was the first time in over a month I had to take a pain pill. I didn't want to take it and I was almost in tears when I finally broke down and took it. My back was hurting so bad and my abs were on fire, every move I made, it hurt. I'll be 6 weeks post-op on Thursday and I can't wait for the day I feel %100. The kids are going away for the weekend and DH is leaving too, I'll be all alone and I can't wait!
Unread 10-06-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairFullOfHugs View Post
I've been feeling about the same as you, good when laying down but then when I get up, I get so tired all of a sudden. Last night was the first time in over a month I had to take a pain pill. I didn't want to take it and I was almost in tears when I finally broke down and took it. My back was hurting so bad and my abs were on fire, every move I made, it hurt. I'll be 6 weeks post-op on Thursday and I can't wait for the day I feel %100. The kids are going away for the weekend and DH is leaving too, I'll be all alone and I can't wait!
awww....you poor thing. I would hope by 6 weeks you wouldn't be suffering so much. Enjoy your weekend to your self.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register