Transitioning back to work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Transitioning back to work Transitioning back to work

Unread 03-04-2014, 06:40 AM
Transitioning back to work

Hi!!! I will be 4 weeks post op tomorrow and my Principal is putting pressure on me to get back to work. I still have 2 more weeks on my doctors note and do not feel I'm ready. However, I do feel I need to start getting ready. I've been trying to wake up at the time I would have to and shower right away. Trying not to nap and stay "active" even if that just means sitting up on my couch versus laying down while on the computer.
Any suggestions from those that have returned to work?

Yesterday was my first day trying this and it was an epic fail. This morning it took me 2 hours to get out of bed and shower, still have wet hair.

I know it will be a process but anything work for you? I'm a teacher so once I go back I have to be up and running. Lots of high expectations from the higher ups.

Look forward to your suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2014, 06:47 AM
Re: Transitioning back to work

I'm a teacher too! I have my 6 week follow up apt today - and I am going to ask for more time off. My principal told me, "Don't come back until you are 110%" - and she said there will be no half days, or anything like that............remember, you get up to 15 weeks of leave under FMLA so she really shouldn't be bothering you.

That's assuming you have enough sick leave accumulated.

I too have been getting up, showering and trying to be productive each day, but am tired. I have had the flu, sinus infections, bronchitis and even pink eye in the past 3 weeks, so that is why I am asking for more time off. (Plus, I will skip parent/teacher conferences!) I am hoping to go back the end of March. That would be 9 weeks!

Good luck - don't go back too quickly. This is MAJOR surgery!
Unread 03-04-2014, 06:54 AM
Re: Transitioning back to work

Thanks for your message! Sadly since I was so sick before all of this I don't have enough accumulated sick days but thankfully my district has a sick bank so after 5 unpaid days (already it) I can use 60 days from the sick bank!! So I am covered.

That being said, my Principal expects a lot! He would like me back now - even if just half days. Once I do go back though he expects me on my feet, in front of the class or one-on-one or small group. No sitting, or breaks until lunch or plan period. I just can't do that. I teach junior high - not little kids - but high expectations!

I am so sorry you have had such a rough time. I have been lucky - a belly button infection but not bad. Everything has been pretty normal - just weird. I just can't get over lack of strength, stamina, etc.

Good luck to you!!!! I have my check up next Monday - maybe my doctor will want me to stay home longer.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register