Countdown and Undecided | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Countdown and Undecided Countdown and Undecided

Unread 06-06-2002, 08:58 PM
Countdown and Undecided

Hi,

I am a new hyster sis. Scheduled TAH on the 13th. History of endo. 40 years old. 2 children. 2 c-sections.

I've spent the last three hours reading post and searching around the site.

I've been presenting the last year with heavy periods that continually got worse to the point of blood transfusion (4 units) 2 months ago. Severe pain (the "I wanna die" kind). Tried alternative and birth control to no avail.

I am undecided about having my ovaries taken. I've been advised to have then removed and to keep them. I'm not sure. If they are healthy, should I keep them? I've been advised that endo can hide around them and still come if I keep them. I don't want anymore of what I have now....so I'm thinking just to get rid of anything that could cause future problems....but, as with all of you, I don't want to go through replacement therapy if I have an alternative.

Any thoughts? My doc has no bedside manner, doesn't give out a lot of info (except that he's done this for 30 years without a problem). He thinks I should get rid of them.

Prep Questions
Also, I work from home, mostly computer work...do you think I will be able to use a laptop to work from bed after two weeks? How about going to home office to sit and work on computer?

How long should I have "in house" help.. i.e. someone staying with me other than the children?

Thanks for input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2002, 09:16 PM
Countdown and Undecided

Editor...welcome to hystersisters. The ovary question is always a hard one. I had tah/bso and haven't had any problems with HRT...however, sometimes others have a more difficult time finding one that works..and/or the balance that works.

You can always get a second opinion...that may help you decide.

About working from home...I tried that for awhile..but my mind was pretty foggy from anest. and medications..so couldn't concentrate very well to work. Took me twice as long to get something done...and totally wore me out at 2 weeks...so finally stopped. Sitting for extended periods of time can cause additional pain and inflammation...so that should be limited for a few weeks. You can sit at computer for awhile...for instance 15-20 minutes at a time during the first week...then gradually increase...but laying down and napping is what I mainly did the first few weeks. I did walk around the inside of my house to keep circulation moving...but I'd sit for awhile...lay for a couple of hours...walk to bathroom and frig and around a little...sit for awhile..then lay down for a couple of hours. You'll know what your body feels up to doing...just don't push yourself to do too much to early.

My dh stayed home with me the first week but after that I was home alone. My kids were 8 & 11 at the time and did a lot of things for me after school. I followed all restrictions to a "t"...no housework etc. for entire recovery period.
Unread 06-06-2002, 09:16 PM
Hi and Welcome to Hystersisters

I can't really answer your question regarding endo as my problem was fibroids and excessive bleeding, so I'm not sure the pro's and con's of keeping your ovaries. I did keep mine, but they were healthy and I am young, only 39 and didn't want to have to deal with HRT right now. I'm sure there will be someone along shortly who can give you more information.

I can tell you that I am two-week post op today, and I've been able to use my laptop (sitting in my recliner) since the first day I returned from the hospital. (Good thing too, or I would have been nuts from boredom by now!) I just put a pillow on my lap to support the computer and to keep it off of my incision. I've had no problems at all, other than a little brain fuzziness the first couple of days which made it difficult to focus or type a coherent sentence.

Anyway, I'm glad you have found us. Read as much as you can, since knowledge is power and can disipate the fear that comes naturally with this procedure. Check out the drop down menus too on the main home page. There's a wealth of information at this site; and even better, a treasure trove of support from ladies who are and have been in your shoes.

Best wishes and s,

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2002, 09:37 PM
Countdown and Undecided

Hi editor. Try getting a second opinion about taking your ovaries. I also have endo, but it's mild. My main problem is large fibroids, so both doctors I went to suggested keeping the ovaries and just taking the uterus. However, if your endo is severe maybe taking the ovaries would be better for you. I know, it's hard to decide what to do. It took me quite a while to finally consider a hyst, after all my other options ran out. Good luck with whatever you decide on.
Unread 06-06-2002, 09:40 PM
Countdown

Hi Sis,

It is my countdown also, the 18th. So glad that you found this site. It has been very helpful for me. I am the type to find out as much as possible about anything I am facing.

How old are your children? Can they be helpful to you? I have not talked to anyone, friend or family, that has had a very difficult time after their surgery. My cousin just called me and told me about her hyster. She said she had a TAH/BSO last year and they removed a grapefruit size fibroid. She felt so much better, in fact was taking walks by the Friday after her surgery and going stir crazy. She didn't overdo, however. My mother feels wonderful, and did immediately after her surgery (it's been 20 years).
I would recommend getting the book they offer on this site. It is really great reading and fun. Also, I just picked up another book they recommended about HRT, hormoe replacement therapy. Boy, is that a great book also!!
It also sounds as if you have all of the same health issues that I have. From everything I have learned, you and I should be feeling so much better. Just throughly research the hormones you may need afterwards. My friends and relatives have had no real difficulties with that aspect, but everyone is different and you have to be very proactive when it comes to how you feel. There should be no reason you should suffer with a quality of life that is miserable. The more we are educated about our options, the better we can address these issues with the Doctors that don't have such great bedside manners, or HMO's or whomever we have to deal with.
Have you had your Pre-op? Go to the area on this site and print the FAQ's for your pre-op, if possible. That is really helpful.
Give yourself permission to take is easy. There will be time to get to all the "stuff" later. By all means, if you can get someone that really knows how to help you and be unobtrusive at the same time, then ask. People generally want to be needed and want to be helpful. When you are not gauging you life by your menstrual cycle, then you can repay the favor. That is what I am looking forward to.

This you can be sure of, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I hope everything goes great for you.

Truly,
jackie Note: All the above is my humble opinion only.

TAH/BSO-endo,adeno,fibroids,prolapse,bladder repair,enlarged uterus,June 18,02 surgery

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register