hysterectomy vs c-section recovery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hysterectomy vs c-section recovery hysterectomy vs c-section recovery

Unread 12-19-2014, 04:41 PM
hysterectomy vs c-section recovery

I am scheduled for a laproscopic hysterectomy but there is a chance it wont be able to be done laproscopic because of enlarged uterus so I would be cut.

How does the recovery relate to a c-section recovery? I am expecting it to be similar but not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2014, 05:29 PM
Re: hysterectomy vs c-section recovery

I had 4 C-sections in my younger years. Abdominal hysterectomy was way harder for me. Either I forgot the pain or being older made it harder. I am 52.
Unread 12-19-2014, 06:48 PM

I agree with the above, I had a c sectin 25 years ago, and i dont remember quite as much discomfort. But all is good now and im 7 weeks post op
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2014, 07:14 PM

My c section was about 8 years before my hysterectomy. I was able to have this laparoscopic. This was much harder than a c section to me. Just be patient with yourself. Most of my pain, weakness, etc issues were similar, just lasted longer.
Unread 12-19-2014, 07:29 PM
hysterectomy vs c-section recovery

I had two emergency c - sections in my mid twenties and bounced back very quickly both times. The recovery time for the hysterectomy at 46 (da Vinci) is taking much longer. It could be because I am older and wasn't as fit before the surgery. I think having a baby via c-section is less stressful on the body than having a long operation with entire body parts removed. Having said that, it really isn't too awful provided you don't overdo it and get plenty of rest.
Unread 12-20-2014, 06:10 AM

thanks for bursting my bubble ladies LOL

I was expecting this surgery to be similar to the c-section at least now I know that wont be the case so I wont expect it.
Unread 12-20-2014, 09:23 AM

Remember everyone is different though, our experience may not be the same as yours!! I recall a thread a while back that had the opposite opinion, so you never know. Better to be prepared and get a pleasant surprise when it isnt bad than to expect good and not get it.
Unread 12-20-2014, 12:09 PM

I've had 3 c-sections and the recovery and pain following surgery was quite bad. I have a hard time managing pain afterwards. Toradol does squat for me. I really pray I have compassionate nurses who give me proper pain management!
Unread 12-20-2014, 01:52 PM

What a great question. I've been expecting this to be a breeze. Had 2 c-sections 15 & 17 yrs ago and 2 laps last yr (appendix and gall bladder) so I assumed this wouldn't be so bad. Now I'm a bit worried about recovery time. I'm going in on a Monday for surgery with plans to return to work the following Monday (from home). I don't have to move too much (work is strictly on computer, no face to face) but if recovery is going to be a challenge, maybe I'm being too ambitious. I hope more women will add their comparison of c-section to hyster. If it's that bad, maybe I'll book a week of holidays so I can take more time to heal.

Thanks for sharing!

Tee
Unread 12-20-2014, 03:56 PM

Tee I am glad I am not the only one who expected surgery to be like a c-section.

I am thinking you might need to take another week off. Better to be safe then sorry and who couldnt use another week to recover rather than have a setback.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register