new, w/ stupid questions re hyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new,  w/ stupid questions re hyst new, w/ stupid questions re hyst

Unread 10-30-2003, 02:53 PM
new, w/ stupid questions re hyst

Hello, I am new here and I am so sorry if these questions are stupid! I am 45 with 4 children. I'm really sorry for those of you who have pain and other terrible problems. My prayers go out to you. I didn't have any pain, the only symptom that I had was stress incontinence. To my shock, I was diagnosed with uterine prolapse, enterocle, rectocele, cystocele and bladder prolapse one month ago. Last week, I had an operation to fix them but I didn't get a hysterectomy because I had too many unanswered questions about hysterectomies. I don't know a lot about hysterectomies, so please excuse my stupid questions. If a woman is done with child bearing then what is so bad about getting a hysterectomy if you have uterine prolapse and posterior/anterior problems? Doesn't getting rid of the uterus help the pressure down there and make things less likely to prolapse again? I know this has to be done by an excellent surgeon so that he supports the vaginal vault after the hysterectomy. Also, if the statistics are higher for women 45-60 years of age to get ovarian cancer, then wouldn't a total hysterectomy be better for this age woman to get? Especially since ovarian cancer is such a silent cancer...you don't know you have it until it has been there for some time. I know that hormones are a big factor but don't they have ways to help women with the hormone problem?

I am just searching for answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2003, 04:59 PM

Welcome to the group. You have some good questions. I think it is good that you insisted on doing the research before jumping into anything. There are many pro's and cons as far as whether to take your ovaries, which many people can help with here and there has been a lot of discussion about it lately that perhaps they are making too much of the link to horemones and breast cancer. Things you should look at are family history. If have had any problems with your ovaries in the past, scar tissue that may be present, and of course last but absolutely not least what your doctor thinks you should do in regards to your ovaries. Your ovaries are organs and removing them does have consequences, horemones can help and often make things much better, but it can be difficult to get to that place. Having said all that it really is something you need to decide between yourself, your significant other if you have one and your doctor. I think that if you have a lot of problems with your uterus, without taking your ovaries I have been told removal of the uterus doesn't usually change your horemonal ballance so if it is having problems, your doctor thinks you should have it removed then go for it, if that is what you want to do.

Personally I am 29 and I have at least one fibroid in my uterus and frequent hemoragic cysts on my ovaries, I have serious problems with nausia which I found out today is definately not viral, and I am having my uterus and cervix removed for sure and possably my one remaining ovary depending on what the doctor finds. I am more than willing to have her take my ovary personally I want it out but she isn't convinced that is causing any of the pain so won't say one way or another if she is going to take it only she will make her decision based on what she finds. I think that works for me. The risk of ovarian cancer is fairly low however as some have pointed out it is hard to detect and often isn't cought until it is very advanced so it is such a difficult decision to make and one that none of us can make for you. I personally have reason to take mine, which is pain, but when the ovaries are perfectly healthy whether to take them out or not is highly debated in the medical profession. The key is to have a doctor you are very comfortable with and discuss all the ups and downs with him/her. It is very important to have a comfortable open relationship with your GYN.
Unread 10-31-2003, 08:03 PM

Hi Marie Anne

There are no stupid questions here! Please ask away, and we'll do our best to provide support.

First, at the top of this forum we have compiled a list of websites that have great information on a variety of reproductive problems including prolapse. Please click here and then scroll down to the topics related to Prolapse. You'll find some great information there:

Website Resources

As for what to do about ovaries, especially when you are in your mid 40's (or any age, really). I'm providing a link to a series of Pre Op articles and one of them is about the ovary decision. This is not easy, as Menriqu2001 points out. Each lady has to evaluate all the pros and cons, in consultation with her doctor, to come to the decision that feels right for her. So much depends on your specific reproductive problems, your family history, and personal preferences. Check out the article on Whether or Not to Keep Ovaries, along with any of the other Pre Op Articles at this link:

Pre Op Articles

I hope you are doing well since your surgery last week. Please keep us posted on how this works out for you. And feel free to keep asking questions!

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2003, 09:45 PM

I had a teacher in High School(god rest her soul) who said "the only stupid question is the one you don't ask."

I wish I could help you but I'm new here and searching for answers myself. Good luck to both of us.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register