8 days post hysterectomy: Bowel Movement Pain / colon pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

8 days post hysterectomy: Bowel Movement Pain / colon pain 8 days post hysterectomy: Bowel Movement Pain / colon pain

Unread 10-10-2015, 01:27 PM
8 days post hysterectomy: Bowel Movement Pain / colon pain

Hi. I'm 8 days post op, my incision is healing great, that pain is subsiding, but now I have a new , intolerable pain. It hurts to have a bm, my rectum hurts when I'm just sitting,llieing down, or walking. Is thus normal?? I cry it hurts so bad! Is there anything I can do to ease the pain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2015, 02:22 PM
Re: Bowel Movement Pain/ colon pain

What kind of surgery did you have? If it was vaginal the swelling might contribute to it. Also, if you are constipated at all the pressure on the rectal area will hurt. What are you taking for your bowels? stool softener? walking? fluids and fiber?

You may need to use a suppository to help. I had problems of really not constipation but it would back up and 'dry out' right at the anus. I literally used my finger to dig it out to get started. I was familiar with this problem cause I had it presurgery but then I could strain without worrying about damaging. When I told my doctor he prescribed miralax but it took 6 days to work (was miserable the whole time) and gave me gas. He told me to try Milk of magnesium which worked. He said straining is not good. I took the full dosage which worked in about 4 hours, then cut back to 1/2 dosage every other day for a few months until I finally found a formula of foods that would work.

Right now if you have them try a suppository. The area is tender down there. I would think if the cervix was removed, even not having a vaginal hysterectomy, the area would be tender and sensitive.

If no better by Monday or you can call his service, call your doctor to see if he wants you to take anything If it is really bad you can always go sit in the ER.
Unread 01-11-2016, 06:22 AM
Re: 8 days post hysterectomy: Bowel Movement Pain/ colon pain

I have that bowel pain as well. It feels like a freight train is going through every time something moves down the intestines, including gas. I've started doubling my stool softeners, and I eat prunes (can't tolerate the juice). I also have ducolax and miralax in the house but haven't used it yet. The trick is to keep everything soft so it moves through and out. Gas X or Phazyme after meals works to keep the gas pains to a minimum too. Things get really stirred up during the surgery and if it wasn't for this issue, and the unpredictability of it, I could deal with the incisional pain. I felt weirdness in the rectal area too, but that has subsided greatly. If that worries you, definitely check in with the doctor's office.

Feel good, heal well, and talking from 21 days out, and being an anxious person about my own recovery, I can tell you it does get better. Incrementally, but it does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2016, 10:24 AM

To help the poop move through your system more easily, take regular walks, eat more fibre to bulk it up, and drink plenty of water to soften it. Also try supplementing your diet with magnesium, which supports proper bowel function; food sources include leafy greens, whole grains, nuts and seeds, and dark chocolate. When you're sitting on the toilet, bend your knees into your chest, and elevate your feet on a low stool; this straightens the rectum, so the poop passes through more easily. Best wishes for your continued recovery!
Unread 01-11-2016, 07:14 PM
Re: 8 days post hysterectomy: Bowel Movement Pain / colon pain

HI! If you are able to tolerate ibuprofen it might help to take it regularly to help decrease inflammation. No matter what kind of surgery you've had, there is a lot of pelvic inflammation and swelling internally. Some women experience bladder issues, some colon issues and some have problems with both. Ibuprofen may help settle down some of the inflammation.
Unread 07-09-2016, 05:17 AM

Hi! I know your post was almost a year ago but I am 8 days post op and having the same colon pain you posted about. If you're still around do you have any advice ? Did you find relief? Anything?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register