Trouble sleeping - 2 weeks post hysterectomy | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Trouble sleeping - 2 weeks post hysterectomy Trouble sleeping - 2 weeks post hysterectomy

Unread 09-13-2017, 07:33 AM
Trouble sleeping - 2 weeks post hysterectomy

I am two weeks post DaVinci hysterectomy- I am doing really well except for one thing-I can't sleep. I am 62 yrs. old- have already gone through menopause. I am usually a very active person and go to bed exhausted at night- since I'm taking care of myself and not overdoing things, I'm just not tired at night. Yesterday, I got up fairly early, did a few things, took a walk outside and did not sleep during the day- I didn't go to sleep until 3:00 AM! Are there any suggestions as to what I can do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2017, 05:41 AM
Re: Trouble sleeping - 2 weeks post hysterectomy

and

I'm sorry to read of your insomnia. I go through bouts of it, and it can be so frustrating! It's pretty common to have Symptoms of Hormonal Imbalance after surgery: if you had your ovaries removed, you could be experiencing surgical menopause; if you kept one or both ovaries, they may still be "off line" from the compromised blood supply and trauma of surgery.

We've got an article on 8 Tips for Managing Insomnia. Warm, caffeine-free liquids may help like tea, or a cup of warm milk. OTC help in the form of melatonin (which is what our bodies produce), Tylenol PM, or night-time cold liquids may help - if you're still on pain meds with acetaminophen, run those last two by your doctor first. One thing not mentioned in the article is technology. The blue light from TVs, iPads, readers, laptops, phones, and computers trick our brains into thinking it's still daylight, delaying our naturally produced melatonin which induces sleep. Turn off screens an hour before bed, and instead pick up a book or magazine. Short stories, anecdotes, an easy article in a magazine, devotionals, comic books are easy to put down when you're tired.

My go-tos are a mug of warm milk, reading, and melatonin or Tylenol PM. Sometimes the change of venue from the bedroom to the couch helps me. Usually a combo helps me get to sleep.

Hopefully this will be short-lived for you, and you'll get back to a regular sleep cycle soon.

Unread 09-14-2017, 07:13 AM

In addition to keeping a curfew on your electronics use, keep them out of your bedroom, so your body regards it solely as a place for sleep and intimacy. Also keep in mind that caffeine can linger in the body for 6-8 hours, so a 2 PM cutoff can also help. Another top pick for a bedtime drink is Natural Calm, a powdered magnesium supplement that dissolves in warm water; magnesium relaxes the body, and plays a role in melatonin production, promoting a deeper, more restful sleep. Tart cherry juice and kiwifruit are also high in natural melatonin. A few minutes of meditation before bedtime can also help to tell the brain that it's time to rest. Also, if you're okay with eating soy, then 1-2 daily servings of tofu, edamame, or soy milk can help with hormonal balance until your ovaries come back online. Here's hoping you'll get your soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2017, 07:14 AM

Thanks- I tried the Tylenol PM last night- I usually don't use it because it makes me "foggy" the next day- but that doesn't really matter right now! Got a pretty good night's sleep- will use it for a few more nights- hopefully, I'll get into a good routine after that.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register