Cyclic spotting 2 years after hystrectomy! | The Road Less Traveled | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cyclic spotting 2 years after hystrectomy! Cyclic spotting 2 years after hystrectomy!

Unread 09-13-2017, 08:06 AM
Cyclic spotting 2 years after hystrectomy!

Hello ladies,

I have been away for a while. But here we go again! I had my TAH 2 years due to big nicrotic fibroid with lots of pain and bleeding not for cancer or endometriosis. Everything went well after that. Last Septemberm 2016. I had a slight brown discharge that lasted for 2 days. Then the next month I had this discharge around the same time for 2 days. Called the doctor, had a normal pap smear and normal ultrasound. No cysts in ovaries. Doctor examined vaginal cuff, everything was good. Doctor thought spotting might be due to excercise or irritation from vaginal weights I was using to tighten and strengthen my pelvic floor.

After that I still had this occasional 2 days discharge although I stopped using the vaginal weights. In June 2017, statred taking notes. I noticed that it is cyclic, happening around the same time every month. So it happened in June, July, Aug, and now in September. Called the doctor and examined me while I have this discharge and made an ultrasound. She found vaginal tissue on the vaginal cuff inside me not inside the vaginal tube. It is on the outeside of the vaginal tube. So she can feel fullness but can't see it and the ultrasound confirmed what she felt. A 2 *3 cm tissue.

The doctor thinks it is an endometriosis tissue that planted itself there. Getting fed by my estrogen because I still have my ovaries. Although, I never had endo before. My uterus was taken due to the fibroid. I also wanted to add that I have no cervics. Just ovaries and tubes.

She did a pap smear again and I am waiting the results.

I am scared it might be vaginal cancer. I will be going to gyn oncologist for another opinion and for biopsy if needed

My question is, can a vaginal cancer develop on the outside of the vagina not in the tube itself. My other question is, could it be an endometriosis tissue although I have never had endo before?

I am freaking out!!! Help please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2017, 08:56 PM
Re: Cyclic spotting 2 years after hystrectomy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joudi77 View Post
She found vaginal tissue on the vaginal cuff inside me not inside the vaginal tube. It is on the outeside of the vaginal tube. ... My other question is, could it be an endometriosis tissue although I have never had endo before?
I don't think I understand what you are trying to say. The vagina is the vagina and not a tube. The vaginal cuff is the incision at the top of the vagina that closes the vagina once the complete uterus with cervix has been removed, so the cuff is made of vaginal tissue really.

Do you mean she found endometrial tissue in your vaginal cuff? That can happen sometimes and yes that can cause bleeding in response to hormonal changes each month. Misplaced endometrium can also become endometriosis in the vaginal cuff and other areas. That's how some women develop endo in their belly button or c-section scars after surgery.

Quote:
My question is, can a vaginal cancer develop on the outside of the vagina not in the tube itself.
Again, I am not sure what you mean about outside the vagina and not in the tube. Outside the vagina would be the labia and such. Vaginal cancer by definition is cancer of the vagina--any part of the vagina. If you are asking about the vaginal cuff being cancerous, it would depend on what cells it is. Cervical cancer can exist there. If there was endometrial cancer and endometrium remained in the cuff, then theoretically you could have endometrial cancer there. You could have vaginal cancer of the cuff. But I wouldn't worry about cancer at this point unless you have had a history of it or your doctor mentioned something. Worrying won't make it better, but it will leave you with high anxiety while you wait for answers.

in there and try not to worry until you have more information from your doctor. Don't borrow trouble assuming you have cancer if your doctor didn't give you reason to think so.

s
Unread 09-13-2017, 09:46 PM

Thanks for your reply. What I meant that my doctor when she looked into my vagina she felt but couldn't see the tissue because it is on the vaginal side where is the abdominal cavity and ovaries. it is like the tissue is on the outer wall of the vagina.

My doctor is suspecting an endo tissue but she is doing pap smear to rule out malignancy. She started talking about lupron which I refuse to take unless it is my last chance to cure endo if I am having it. We will see.

Thanks for your assuring words. We can't help it but to think about the worst. I will keep you updated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joudi77 View Post
What I meant that my doctor when she looked into my vagina she felt but couldn't see the tissue because it is on the vaginal side where is the abdominal cavity and ovaries. it is like the tissue is on the outer wall of the vagina.
I'm sorry. I am still not understanding. The vaginal side is not the same side as the abdominal cavity and ovaries. The cuff separates those two sides--they are opposite of each other.

Quote:
My doctor is suspecting an endo tissue but she is doing pap smear to rule out malignancy.
Sounds like standard procedure and sounds like endo is the overall concern.

Quote:
She started talking about lupron which I refuse to take unless it is my last chance to cure endo if I am having it.
Lupron doesn't cure endo. You might want to get a second opinion before making any decisions about Lupron if endo is the issue.

Quote:
Thanks for your assuring words.

Quote:
We can't help it but to think about the worst.
Been there myself, and my DH was diagnosed with cancer this summer. I understand!

Quote:
I will keep you updated!
Sounds good!

Unread 09-14-2017, 07:16 AM

Thanks a lot for your reply and explanation. I am sorry that I can't explain it clearly. Probably I'm not understanding what the doctor meant. Anyway, I am taking a second opinion with a gyn oncologist but we are waiting the pap smear results. I will update soon.

I am very sorry about your husband. I know it is hard but being surrounded with strong, loving, encourageing people like you is what he needs. Hope in few months we will hear the news that he is cancer free.

Lots of hugs! 😗😗😗
Unread 09-14-2017, 07:42 AM

joudi77, do you mean that the tissue is on the outside of the vaginal cuff, the side that faces your abdominal cavity rather than the side that faces the inside of your vagina?
Unread 09-14-2017, 08:13 AM

SurprisedInNB Yes Yes, this is what I meant. Although I now don't know if this will make a difference as long as endometriosis or cancer can develop anywhere in the vagina or on either side of vaginal cuff. Am I understanding that correctly?

Thanks a lot for your reply!
Unread 09-14-2017, 08:45 AM

Have a look at http://www.webmd.com/women/picture-of-the-vagina#1 There really is no "outside" of the vagina. The vagina is a canal that runs through muscle tissue. It's like there is no "outside" of the Panama Canal. The land surrounding the canal is part of the country of Panama, not part of the canal itself.

The vaginal cuff is another matter. The cuff is basically a healed incision where the end of you vagina was sewn up after your cervix was cut free. So the cuff can incorporate vaginal tissue, cervical tissue and possibly even minor amounts of endometrial tissue. It *does* have two sides - the vagina on one side and the abdominal cavity on the other.

Can endometriosis develop on the vaginal cuff? Yes, certainly. See https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2827133/ for a report in a medical journal of exactly this occurrence.

Can cancer (vaginal, cervical or endometrial) develop on the vaginal cuff where no such cancer was present before the hysterectomy? The jury seems to be out on this one. See https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3817789/ as an example.

Certainly endometrial cancer present before surgery can *recur* on the vaginal cuff - that happened to me. But that's not what we're talking about in your case.
Unread 09-14-2017, 02:17 PM

Thanks SurprisedInNB for your reply and getting my point. Thanks for your very informative and assuring articles. I might be one of the unusual cases of developing endo in cuff after hystrectomy and never diagnosed with it before as mentioned in the article. It is a great article indeed.

As of the second article. It is very assuring since I don't think I have HPV virus.

I will keep you updated!

Love you my hystersisters! You make things much easier! ❤❤

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register