Upcoming hysterectomy 9/15: Anxiety is through the roof | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 9/15: Anxiety is through the roof Upcoming hysterectomy 9/15: Anxiety is through the roof

Unread 09-13-2017, 08:17 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 9/15: Anxiety is through the roof

My surgery is this Friday... I battle with anxiety and depression. I see a therapist once a week. I'm a little disappointed with myself today. I cancelled my therapy appt. simply because I can't get out of bed. I know I need to talk to someone, I'm in my own head with the negative talk. I keep telling myself I'm alone, why do I feel like I'm alone? I'm anxiously awaiting my MRI results. The tech said I should have the results by Wednesday (it's Wednesday, why aren't they calling?). You see I was diagnosed with a 9cm uterine fibroid. I do know the Dr said that's very large. She tried to do a biopsy but couldn't get the speculum in far enough. So she ordered an emergency MRI to rule out cancer. So my mind is running away with the thought of the ugly C word. The tech said to me after my MRI "i got really good images. You sure do have a lot going on in there". My mind is over thinking. I'm so worked up over how much pain I'll be in. Does it last 6-8 weeks? Will I still feel pain after 2 weeks? How soon will I be able to wear normal clothing? I've read about bleeding during recovery, how heavy is the bleeding? Is it like spotting or heavy flow? My head is spinning and I'm trying to keep both feet on the ground. Any info you all can give in order to help me find peace of mind would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidilynn74 View Post
My surgery is this Friday... I battle with anxiety and depression. I see a therapist once a week. I'm a little disappointed with myself today. I cancelled my therapy appt. simply because I can't get out of bed. I know I need to talk to someone, I'm in my own head with the negative talk. I keep telling myself I'm alone, why do I feel like I'm alone? I'm anxiously awaiting my MRI results. The tech said I should have the results by Wednesday (it's Wednesday, why aren't they calling?). You see I was diagnosed with a 9cm uterine fibroid. I do know the Dr said that's very large. She tried to do a biopsy but couldn't get the speculum in far enough. So she ordered an emergency MRI to rule out cancer. So my mind is running away with the thought of the ugly C word. The tech said to me after my MRI "i got really good images. You sure do have a lot going on in there". My mind is over thinking. I'm so worked up over how much pain I'll be in. Does it last 6-8 weeks? Will I still feel pain after 2 weeks? How soon will I be able to wear normal clothing? I've read about bleeding during recovery, how heavy is the bleeding? Is it like spotting or heavy flow? My head is spinning and I'm trying to keep both feet on the ground. Any info you all can give in order to help me find peace of mind would be greatly appreciated.
I just had my surgery on Aug 28 th so I am just over 2 weeks in. I also had a uterine fibroid which was 4.6 cm on the ultrasound. Month later they took out a grapefruit sized fibroid. I also had the biopsy even though they are usually NOT cancerous. You will most likley have what we call a swelly belly. So wear something home that is super comfy bigger than normal. Everyone is different with the pain, just keep up with your meds they send home with you. I haven't taken pain meds for over a week now. I still take my anti inflammatory. Most of the girls have reported light spotting. A panty liner does the trick. Important after surgery rest drink plenty of water to get bowels moving and NO housework. Have a heating pad and a recliner to sit in ready and lots of things to entertain you while you rest. After surgery find your forum on here. It will be for anyone that had surgery the same week as you. It is great to compare notes and ideas with others. You are not in this alone..
.:hug
Unread 09-13-2017, 08:13 PM
Re: Anxiety is through the roof

Hi Heidilynn74 -

All of your feelings, fears, emotions and anxieties are very normal. This is one tough surgery to face and digest.

Keep in mind that fibroids are almost always benign. Here are 5 Surprising Facts about Fibroids.

Pain is different for everyone, with some experiencing little to no pain, while others experience quite a bit. I had moderately high level of pain but it was controllable with narcotic and Motrin. I was off the narcotic after 5 days, and off the Motrin after 2 weeks.

Not everyone has vaginal discharge after surgery. The bleeding I had was similar to heavy spotting which lasted about 5 days. I also had clear and yellow waxy discharge that lasted 6 weeks. For that I used ultra thin maxi pads and changed twice a day.

Here are 10 Tips for Preparing for Your Hysterectomy. Be sure to read the related articles. What I found most useful were the following:
-Meals in the freezer that can be put in the microwave
-Easy foods for breakfasts and lunches
-Loose fitting clothing
-Prepare your recovery corner with pillows and blankets.
-Small pillow to hold against your tummy for coughs and sneezes
-Super clean your house
-Get your hair cut

Just know you are not alone in this. We are here for you, and will be by your side throughout this process.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2017, 06:41 AM

Heidilynn74, and greetings from a fellow fibroid sister!
As I've heard from other sisters, hearing the C word can stir up all sorts of what-ifs and related thoughts, but as Lindalm said, fibroids are not cancerous. My largest one was 10 cm, about the size of a jumbo grapefruit; I had everything biopsied, which came out negative. As for the pain, I had a bad reaction to the narcotics I'd been prescribed, and found that I was okay simply alternating naproxen - an NSAID like ibuprofen - and acetaminophen; after 5 days, I no longer needed anything. As for the discharge, I only had some light spotting for the first week; the hospital nurse gave me a thick maxipad, which I thought was overkill, because I found I was okay with just a thin pad. As for getting your bowels moving, be sure to get up and start moving around every so often. Helpful grocery items to have on hand include peppermint tea, prunes and prune juice, frozen cherries, dried apricots, whole grain cereal, ground flaxseeds, and magnesium-rich dark chocolate and pumpkin seeds. Also be sure to get something to elevate your feet while sitting on the toilet, like a Squatty Potty or a low stool; this can help to prevent straining, by properly aligning the rectum, so the poop can pass through more smoothly. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register