LAVH Bowel issues 26 days post hysterectomy | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel issues 26 days post hysterectomy Bowel issues 26 days post hysterectomy

Unread 09-13-2017, 10:26 AM
Bowel issues 26 days post hysterectomy

Seems like I'm on this site everyday during my recovery for a sanity check. I had a total hysterectomy 8/18. Some new issue seems to pop up every day. Spoiler alert this may be TMI. I've been having issues with "hard" stools, causing anal fissures that just add to the general discomfort of this recuperation. I drink a lot of water and take fiber supplements, and try to eat a lot of salads. I take Miralax most days. I'm so afraid of straining and causing injury to the internal healing. When I end up straining even a little, it seems that the vaginal discharge/bleeding increases. I have had discharge since day 1, no let up, and wonder when it will stop! But passing the hard stools make it a little worse, today it was a clumpy "spurt" of vaginal sludge, (yuck). The discharge has a strange odor too, although not "foul". Sorry if this is too gross. Anyone else having issues like this? Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2017, 05:56 AM
Re: Bowel issues 26 days post-hysterectomy

Yes, all these side effects are challenging. I had to actively manage my digestive system for 7-8 weeks, as I'm prone to constipation and hard "output". Water is good, salads with dark leafy greens are good. Fiber supplements aren't harmful, but it is better to get fiber from food sources which can get your digestive tract working properly more than a pill can.

Aim for a diet high in fiber and magnesium: dark leafy greens, whole grains, fiber cereal, nuts, seeds, fruits (fresh, dried or frozen in smoothies), prune juice, warm liquids like tea, and keep drinking the water. Avoid highly processed foods like prepared meals and boxed dinners as they are difficult to digest, and go for fresh and things you prepare from scratch. My daily must-eats after surgery were 1/2 cup of Fiber One original cereal, 1 cup raisin bran, dried prunes, prune juice - all that gave me an extra 27g fiber each day. With the additional fiber I got from fruits & veggies at mealtimes, I'm sure I was getting in the 32-36 gram range daily.

When you sit on the throne, prop your feet up on a low foot stool. We're built to squat, and having your knees above your hips aligns the colon for emptying. Walking helps digestion too. Whenever I got a bit too backlogged, I'd drink a cup of Smooth Move Senna Tea. Though natural, senna is still a laxative so you don't want to drink it daily. I found the tea to be less, umm, explosive than OTC laxatives.

Here's to lubed tubes!

Unread 09-14-2017, 06:07 AM
Re: Bowel issues 26 days post-hysterectomy

"Here's to lubed tubes! "
Thanks again for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2017, 07:03 AM
Bowel issues 26 days post hysterectomy

If you are considering a fibre supplememt, look for a psyllium-based product like Metamucil, or you can just bypass the manufacturer completely, by picking up some psyllium seeds at your local bulk food store. Psyllium seeds are high in soluble fiber, which can help to lubricate your stools; other foods in this category include apples, bananas, blueberries, oatmeal, and chia seeds. Warming up your prune juice can boost its effects and my smoothie recipe to get things going includes almond milk, cherries, spinach, and ground flaxseeds; other helpful drink choices include peppermint tea, and a glass of warm water with the juice of half a lemon. My top picks for magnesium include dark chocolate and pumpkin seeds; other helpful foods include dried apricots and canned pumpkin puree. Another top tip to encourage regularity is to squat on the toilet, like Cussette mentioned, right after a meal; this stimulates the gastro-colic reflex, in which the stomach tells the brain that it's full, then the brain tells the colon to empty its contents, to make room for the new stuff coming in. Here's hoping you'll be back to 💩 soon!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register