Black Bean and Chorizo Chili | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hyster Sisters Extras and Add-Ons > Sisteritaville: Hyster Sisters Cookbook > Hysteritaville Healthwise

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Black Bean and Chorizo Chili Black Bean and Chorizo Chili

Unread 01-28-2004, 06:01 PM
Black Bean and Chorizo Chili

The smoky chipotle chiles and Spanish chorizo sausage combine to give this chili a kick.

1 (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
Cooking spray
2 1/2 cups chopped onion, divided
1 1/2 cups chopped green bell pepper
1 1/2 cups chopped red bell pepper
5 garlic cloves, minced
3 links Spanish chorizo sausage, diced (about 6 1/2 ounces)
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained
3 (14-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, undrained and chopped
1 (8 1/2-ounce) can no-salt-added whole-kernel corn, drained
1 1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup fat-free sour cream
Baked tortilla chips (optional)

Remove 2 chiles from can; finely chop, reserving remaining chiles and sauce for another use.
Heat a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add chiles, 1 3/4 cups onion, bell peppers, garlic, and chorizo; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add chili powder and next 7 ingredients (chili powder through corn), stirring to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, covered, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate, salt, and black pepper.
Ladle 1 cup chili into each of 12 bowls. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream and 1 tablespoon onion. Serve with tortilla chips.

Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 311 (24% from fat); FAT 8.4g (sat 3.2g, mono 3.4g, poly 1g); PROTEIN 16.5g; CARB 43.9g; FIBER 12.9g; CHOL 13mg; IRON 4.1mg; SODIUM 888mg; CALC 95mg;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2004, 06:16 AM

Wow, I should have scrolled down earlier I am printing out all three of the recipe BEST posted. They all look Super Bowl yummy.........perhaps I will be on a cooking spree and we can sample all three.......... YIPPEEE Better stock up on the low carb whole grain tortillas at Trader Joe's today.

God Bless
Chris
Unread 01-29-2004, 02:45 PM

mmmm....

I think I'll make a vegetarian version of this (even less fat, too!) in my Dutch oven. (I'm pretty sure you meant the indoor kind - I'm talking about cast iron campfire kind.) That'd be yummy on a cold evening.

Thanks for posting your recipe!
Unread 01-29-2004, 03:16 PM

Just got back from Trader Joe's on the way home from school and made sure I now have all the missing ingredients for the three (3), YEAH three ymmy chili's recipes posted today. Something I found interesting was in looking at the ground turkey for the turkey chili........well ground pork (Trader Joe's) had approximately 30% less calories, carbs and cholesterol.........so I will let you all know how the change tastes........Hmmm, also for the Texas chili calling for spanish churizio sausages, they didn have that, but they did have chicken chipotle sausages, again huge difference when I check in the same three mentioned above......

I think I am going to change my major from Critical Care Nursing to Critical Care Nurtrition...........geesh, louise in reviewing the specs for low carb...........allows fat, which equals cholesterol and low cholestorl which is high carb and trying to find a healthy workable balance for DH and I almost makes me feel like I am in the physics lab again or better yet going "oops" as I hear and feel the shaking of explosions in the fume hood in chemistry lab.......... I have way too much fun there...

Well, let you all know how OP it goes and how the substitutions go.............. Thanks again for posting the recipes.

Chris
Unread 01-29-2004, 04:51 PM

I heard somewhere that receipes are wonderful guidelines... but sometimes variations are just as good. I don't mind substiutions either... would love to know what you think of the various receipes.

I'm just catching up on the posts... looks like wings & chili might make a Super Bowl supper! Yum!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register