Not passing any gas, much less having a BM | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Not passing any gas, much less having a BM Not passing any gas, much less having a BM

Unread 04-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Not passing any gas, much less having a BM

I'm barely one day post-op and maybe I'm expecting too much of my body, but I feel terribly bloated since I've been home (less than 12 hrs). I haven't passed gas, nor have I had even a hint of having a BM. I was given Colace before I left the hospital @ 10:30am and drank about 8 to 10 oz water. After I got home, I took 2 Gas-X and another 8 oz of water. Another hour later I took a percocet. About 2 hours later I took a short walk and a Citrucell (stool softener) another 8 ox of gatorade, had some baby carrots and took a short nap. Waking up I took another short walk and feel as if my tummy is a basketball. I've been urinating fine, no spotting, just this bloated feeling deep in my gut.

Am I expecting too much too soon? Or should I be worrying?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Re: Not passing any gas, much less having a BM

you are expecting too much too soon! to pass gas by now is all you should hope for! in a couple of days if you havent had a bm it's harmless to use a dulcalax suppository-it will not only help get things moving you will pass some much needed gas-but dont worry about it and remember you also have lots of gas pain from the surgery and it's not bowel gas-try to keep yourself comfortable and do not strain to try to force anything out! hang in there!!! hope you feel better soon!
Unread 04-22-2010, 07:48 PM

I took Colase, Gas-X etc and didn't have a BM for 6 days. Things finally started moving when I went back to my old routine of eating oatmeal every morning. Remember, pain meds can be constipating and if you have to take iron supplements, that can add to it too. Eat healthy foods like fruits and veges, keep drinking water and you should be ok soon. I too peed like crazy even in the hospital, like every 30 minutes after the cath was out.

I know it is a miserable feeling, but I'm 8 weeks post op and my belly is still round at the end of the day. You are healing, it takes time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2010, 07:49 PM

@ HoneyWineMaker...I had the same problem with going to the bathroom. I drank prune juice in the hospital bc my grandma was stuck on me having a BM before I left to go home. They stull sent me home Five days later still nothing (even with with eating prunes and laxatives), the doctor had advised me to taper off my meds. WHAT??? A friend bought me a bottle of "citrate magnesium" and after drinking that it did the trick. Apparently when I told my grandma she laughed and I've been fine ever since. Good luck to you!
Unread 04-22-2010, 08:10 PM

warm prune juice
Unread 04-23-2010, 02:14 AM

My first bowel movement didn't happen until a miserable five days post op. My belly was so distended and uncomfortable. I take Miralax every morning, gas-x occasionally, and then my friend brought over some activia yogurt. Finally! I'm sticking to the routine for a while as I believe my bowels were shocked during surgery. Good luck to you.
Unread 04-23-2010, 07:57 AM

My first BM was 6 days after surgery. I was passing gas-but my bowels took a long time to get moving. I was pretty uncomfortable up until then. Seems to be working fine now. I too was worried about it, but it did happen on it's own when my body was ready. Be careful not to strain or you could pull some stitches.

I know in the hospital they wanted me to be able to pass gas before I went home. If you're not passing gas at all you might want to call the doc for reassurance. But it's too soon to expect a BM.

Drink LOTS of fluids and eat fiber (fruits, veggies, whole grains).

I hope you get relief soon.
Unread 04-23-2010, 08:20 AM

I didn't have BM until week after surgery. I also didn't pass gas until 4 days after surgery. It was really bad, they kept me 4 days on liquid diet at hospital because they said I should not eat solid food until I pass gas, a sign that my intestines are working again.
So take it easy on eating, drink lots of liquids and walk as much as you can. Try prune juice also.
Unread 04-23-2010, 09:25 AM

It took me 5 days before having my first BM or passing of gas after surgery. I took colace, drank lots of water and had to push some.
Unread 04-23-2010, 12:53 PM

I feel you! It's been almost a month and I still am not quite back to normal. I guess we will need to be a little more patient.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register